(3) Running Out

The next morning I ran my hand over the empty space beside me. Rayner had already gone and I needed to get ready for school. I'd managed to get a full ride to the university of my dreams and decided on majoring in design. My mother always told me it was a stupid idea to want to design clothing, but my dad never said a bad word about it. He just would tell me to shoot for the stars. I always related more to my father for that reason.

I stretched my sore muscles and got ready for my day. I stopped to pick up a coffee from my favorite shop and made my way through the crowd of people to my first class. I couldn't help but get the feeling I was being watched. I had the most eerie feeling that hit me deep in the pit of my stomach. I looked around and no one appeared to be keeping a close watch on me.

I suffered from post traumatic symptoms at times but my gut was usually never wrong which is what made me so afraid. I stayed close to the crowds and rushed into the building to my class sitting near the front just in case someone tried abducting me from the back.

The paranoid feeling never left me throughout the day but I managed to get through the day without being kidnapped so that was a plus. School was over and I got in my car and headed back to the house. The minute I got on the freeway I regretted it. Traffic was outrageous but luckily I knew a few back road tricks to get home.

The minute I could exit I did and turned right down one of my secret roads. Which wasn't exactly a secret but I liked to pretend it was. I'd gone a mile or two when my car sputtered and clunked to a halt. Panic mode kicked in and I turned the key multiple times to no avail. My car would not turn over and that was when I noticed it was on E. I'd forgotten to get gas before class this morning. I relaxed in my seat picking up my cell phone dialing Rayner's number. It rang and went to voice mail. Which was odd because he always picked up when I called. Always.

I shrugged it off despite the bad thoughts crossing my mind and stepped out my car popping the trunk. Knowing good and well I didn't have any gas but checked anyway hoping that by some miracle there would be a full gas can.

There was an empty gas can all I needed was a gas station. Los Angeles had them on every corner, except this road was a bit more secluded and I'd have to walk a few miles probably but it wouldn't be so bad. I walked back around to my car to grab my wallet just as an older gentleman driving an old blue pick up slowed to a stop beside me.

"Need some help?" He asked just as my phone vibrated vigorously in my back pocket. "I'll give you a ride to the gas station, no problem." He offered. He seemed harmless enough. I pulled my phone out of my pocket holding a finger up. The man pulled closer to the side as I answered my phone waiting for me to give him a reply.

"Hello?" I answered already knowing it was Rayner. He freaked out every time I called him while he was working thinking the worst. "What's up Tor? Sorry I'm slammed today." The man looked at me with an impatient smile letting me know he wanted to know quickly. "I ran out of gas and needed a ride but this nice gentleman has already offered to help me out." I explained and immediately he lashed back.

"Don't you dare get in the car with him Tori I'll be right there. I swear to God if you do I am going to be pissed." I looked over at the man who was still waiting on me. "Sorry my boyfriend says I'm not allowed to talk to strangers. Thanks though!" He nodded pulling out slowly going on his way. "You better hurry Rayner it is hot as hell and I sent my only ride to the gas station on his way." He chuckled and I heard his keys rustling.

"I'm on my way please wait in your car with the doors locked. Don't walk anywhere, and turn on your location so I can find you." I rolled my eyes plopping down on the hood of my car knowing there was no way I was getting back in that oven of a car.

"Hell no. It's too hot." I retorted. Rayner sighed probably ready to give me a speech about how I never listen to him and that is why I always find myself in trouble.

"Just don't leave with anyone I'm coming. I love you I'll see you in a minute." Three people stopped to offer me rides and I nearly took the last offer because I was drenched with sweat and the sun was beating down as if there were a magnifying glass on me.

Just when I was about to start walking to the nearest gas station Rayner flew in behind my car kicking some dust up. He exited his vehicle and grabbed another gas can from his trunk. This one was full. "I hear there is a damsel who needs saving." He grinned flashing his one dimple. I nodded wiping my forehead for the thousandth time.

"Yea, yea just hurry." I whined popping my gas door open. My car guzzled up the gas and gratefully turned over once I was back inside it. I blasted the air in my face and threw my hair up in a high messy bun getting my hair off my sticky neck. "Wanna follow me to the gas station?" He nodded, something was off about him. He was acting odd.

"What is it?" He looked surprised that I'd caught on this quickly and his expression hardened slightly. I was afraid of what he had to tell me. As paranoid as I am the craziest ideas ran through my brain. "They ordered Eliza have more after hour security. Someone tried to break into her house last night." He mumbled. "Her security being you?" I questioned. He nodded leaning against my car. "What does that mean for you?" He sighed looking uncomfortable.

"That means around the clock protection. She has a nasty guy sending her death threats. Her manager wants her secure. It's my job Tori. So please don't make this a big deal. I know you don't like her. I'm not necessarily fond of her either but this is what I've been ordered to do." I felt like pouting, throwing a fit, and smacking him in his big head but in the end I knew this was just his job. Me whining about it would just put a strain on our relationship because we couldn't change this.

"Okay." I nodded my head agreeing not to make a scene of it. He turned his head sideways at me. Was it really that hard to believe I'd react civilly in this situation? I felt offended by his surprise. "Okay?" He questioned making sure that was what I had just said. I nodded slowly even though it killed me to be compliant about it.

"Well I'm not happy about it but there's no point in arguing about something that we can't change. Just be good to me." He leaned into my window kissing me in response. A promise with no words.

____________

Short... But it's an update? :D