(7) Dreamless

Jackson interrupted the moment I was still having with Rayner. "I'll meet you at the car." He stole my keys nodding at Rayner. Once Jackson had left us he wasn't looking himself. "Hey..." He swallowed staring at the ground while I admired his strong jaw line. "What is it?" Rayner finally looked me in the eyes.

"For starters I don't trust Jackson. And I'm also scared Tori. There is a person out there that was involved in your parent's murder and now your face is fucking plastered all over the television again." I got a cold chill after being reminded of this. "I don't know if I can just let you leave with Jackson not knowing his involvement in the case, not knowing where the hell he has been, not knowing if you'll be safe." He ripped at his hair. "I need to talk to him." He ended walking toward the parking lot without letting me say another word. I chased after him.

Jackson was nearing my car when Rayner ran at him like a lunatic spinning him around by the shoulder. I was running toward them now. "What the fuck are you doing here?" Rayner practically shouted in his face Jackson puffed out his chest and the boys were nose to nose.

"Holy shit Rayner. Back off. Why are you acting crazy?" I questioned as I stepped between them and both of their demeanor changed significantly. "You were almost smashed by a fucking light display and you're asking me why I'm acting crazy? I want to know what his plan showing up here is. Why now? What do you want with Tori man? I want to know she is safe. I don't feel comfortable with you being alone with her when I don't even know how you fucking found her." Rayner did have a point. How did he find me? Jackson stuffed his hands in his pockets looking around.

"I already told Tori why I am here. I don't need to explain anything to you. You don't get the right to act protective of her when you never protect her when she needs you to." Jackson was calm which infuriated Rayner. I felt heat seething off of him he was practically vibrating with anger.

"I can't protect her? What about you? While she was being taken advantage of where were you? I may not have been able to keep her from him but you were fucking there." He pointed shoving his shoulder with his finger over my shoulder. "If I would have been there I would have fought harder, I wouldn't have let her take the fall while I was free to go." He jabbed him a second time in the shoulder. I could tell Jackson was getting angry now.

"Go ahead and say whatever you want to me. I've heard it all. I know I'm a piece of shit for everything that I allowed to happen, but don't let what I didn't do for her make you feel better about yourself." Jackson glared at him and I could see this turning in to a fist fight if I let it go on any longer. "Enough!" I pressed on their chests indicating this was over now. "Rayner you need to go." I turned to him gripping my arm awkwardly. He looked hurt by my declaration.

"I need to go?" He chuckled rubbing his chin. "You know what? Fine." He span around stomping to his vehicle. "Rayner!" I chased after him so I could talk to him alone. He didn't turn around for me but stopped once we were far enough away Jackson couldn't overhear us. I stepped around him so I could talk to his face.

"Tori, please, maybe you can come home with me?" He plead. I ached to be with him but I had to make sure Jackson made it back to my place. He shook his head already seeing what I'd decided in my face. He squeezed his eyes shut really tightly turning away from me for a second giving me a tight squeeze, a kiss on the hair, then stormed to his car without looking back. I didn't chase after him this time. He fired up his engine and his tires squealed as he pulled out.

Emotions tugged inside me. My eyes watered up knowing he was mad at me for practically choosing Jackson over him. I calmly walked back to my car got in the driver's seat with Jackson already in the vehicle and without a word from either of us I drove home with tears streaming down my cheeks.

Back at the apartment Jackson and I walked Kato in silence and I knew he was thinking of how to make me feel better. "Tori? Did Rayner break up with you?" I shrugged. I didn't know what we were at this point. All I knew was he was very much upset with me. "I didn't come here to complicate your life Tor... Maybe I should leave." I stopped him right there and engulfed him in a hug.

"Stop it Jackson. Don't make me regret choosing you." He smiled his stupid bad boy grin at me. "Quit smiling, you made my boyfriend very mad at me AND you." I grumbled letting Kato pull me around the complex until he was finished marking every tree. Once we were inside I checked my phone seeing Rayner hadn't tried to contact me. My heart hurt not knowing how long this would persist.

"He won't leave you Tori. How could he?" He insisted only making me sigh as I plopped on the couch. "Let's get some sleep?" He decided for me. I nodded my head in agreement grabbing some blankets and pillows for him to sleep on the pull out bed. "Thank you again for letting me stay here." I smiled nodding my head and leaving to my bedroom getting ready for bed. I heard Jackson already laying down on the creaky bed in the living room so I decided not to bother him and went straight to my bed shutting out my light falling asleep the second my head hit the pillow.

"Tori?!" I was sweating profusely, my throat was raw, my heart was pounding in my chest. "Tori? Wake up!" Jackson gathered me in his arms shaking me awake. I sat up running a hand through my sticky hair trying to catch my breath. "You were having a nightmare." He brushed some damp hair out of my face. "Are you alright?" I nodded gathering what had just happened. I didn't even remember having a bad dream this time.

"I forgot to take my sleeping pills. Sorry I woke you." I leaned back into my pillow trying to steady my breathing. Jackson looked at me with sad eyes. "What?" I asked wondering what had him upset. He coughed clearing his throat asking the question I didn't want to answer. "You have these dreams often?" I shrugged looking anywhere except his face. He pinched the bridge of his nose. "Fuck... God damn it." He swore balling his hands in fists. "You're living with this trauma and it kills me." I set a hand on his arm and he stood up shaking me off. "Please I don't deserve your comfort. I have had peaceful sleep, nothing haunts me except the fact that you're living with this. Rayner was right and I know it. I should've taken care of you in that warehouse."

"You did everything you could." I insisted. "It's all done and over with Jackson, we are both alive and are both here. Let's just go back to sleep." He nodded with a frown across his face. Leaving me in a hurry. I laid back into my pillow sinking in my damp sheets praying I could stop thinking about the drama and sleep dreamlessly.