(26) The Plan She Devised

After making an inconspicuous phone call from a peeved Rayner who agreed to help although he wasn't sure what he was going to do yet. I'd come up with a plan all on my own that I couldn't let him know of ahead of time because he wouldn't have allowed it.

I grabbed Riley by the collar pushing him against the wall sexily. "I'm gonna get us one last drink and then we are gonna go to your place." I breathed hoping he wouldn't follow me to the bar, luck was on my side because he nodded his head going back to our booth to pay our tab. I hurried to the bar getting him a glass of scotch quickly dumping the contents of the sleeping pill I'd crushed to oblivion in the bathroom into it. I rushed the drink to him once I'd made sure the pill had completely dissolved in it. I'd gotten myself a single shot of vodka because I needed some courage.

"Here." I smirked handing Riley the glass that he downed in one go and I felt all the blood rush to my face. I'd just drugged a man. Holy shit, I was going to jail. I had to act like I wasn't completely freaking out even though internally all I could think about was what if he had some kind of adverse reaction to the temazepam. We had about twenty minutes before it really hit him, we had to leave now. "Let's get out of here." I snagged the keys at his belt, "Can I drive?" I perked my breasts out poking my pouty lip at him. He grinned happily, "No." I was taken back slightly by his blunt response. "I'm kidding." He laughed turning me to walk toward the exit grabbing my ass in the process. I tried not to cringe but it was incredibly difficult.

We started the drive to his house that was about twenty minutes from the club so I should be in the clear when I get there. Rayner was already on his way as well and promised not to leave his car until I texted him. I didn't know if he'd actually comply or if he'd jump the gun but hopefully Riley would be asleep by then anyway. Riley had been trying to make moves on me the entirety of the car ride but it wasn't fifteen minutes before he was literally snoring beside me. I chuckled at his drooling shaking my head that my plan had actually worked.

I pulled Riley's car to the curb of his home, I wasn't sure if any of his family were home but I assumed they weren't otherwise he wouldn't have suggested we go there. I messaged Rayner but saw him immediately. I knew he wouldn't wait for my signal. His long strides got him to the car in seconds. I opened the car door my heart hammering in my chest because I hadn't seen him in a minute. I forgot how beautiful he was and I could smell his rainy scent in this proximity. "What the hell is going on Tori?" He said in a hushed voice peeking in the car seeing Riley passed out. "Who is that?" I looked around making sure we were still alone.

"Do you remember that fake name Burns gave us that day at the station?" Rayner zoned out searching his brain ultimately shaking his head, "I didn't figure it out immediately either, Maverick Greenbrier. I was helping Ramona with a baby shower and found tons of weird emails from an M. Greenbrier. I also overheard Ramona talking with Riley about the Christmas party and dirty money, and me, and-" Rayner lifted his finger silencing me processing this information. I searched his eyes waiting for him to respond.

"I really hope you're not telling me what I think you're telling me." I scrunched my face in confusion, "Tori you need to leave this to the police. They know a lot more than you think." His eyes were serious and I knew he took his job seriously but I also knew this was an incredible lead. "It's not enough to trust them anymore Rayner, not when I know that this boy's dad is hiding something in there that pertains to my parents." Rayner looked really sad for me and weighed the options in his head. He nodded his head in the direction of Riley, "What's wrong with him?" He questioned eyeing me suspiciously. I shrank three sizes under his scrutinizing gaze.