(10) The Talk

I ate the cold food Rayner had brought home after we showered and was in the process of cleaning up our mess when I saw the clock on his stove. Realization hit me like a truck. "I have to work in an hour." I said frantically running to the bathroom to look at myself. I'd borrowed a flannel that was too small for Rayner and put my black jeans back on. My face hadn't a drop of makeup but I didn't really mind that much. "Will you take me to my car?" Rayner had followed me into the bathroom acting weird again out of no where. His vibe was off, he was standing as if he wasn't going to let me leave the house.

"I can just take you to work." He suggested shrugging nonchalantly. I nodded combing my hair trying to look as decent as possible remembering Jackson most likely took the car when he went in at noon anyway.

"Okay Jack is working tonight anyway so he's probably taken my car. I'll just ride back with him and you can bring me Kato later." I decided but he didn't agree like I thought he would. His face held some kind of unsure emotion I'd never really seen before. His jaw clenched along with his biceps as he squeezed the doorframe.

"I can pick you up it's no problem Tori. What time?" He told me as if it weren't a big deal but I knew better. I raised my eyebrow at him stopping what I was doing completely to focus on him. "I'll get you." He decided a possessiveness in his eyes that made me uncomfortable.

"Don't be silly Rayner. I need to go home anyway and it's more work for you to go all the way to my work and back and then back to my work to get me when I could just ride home with Jackson." He clenched his jaw again staring at the ground. He shook his head leaving the room and I followed quick on his heels. "What is it?" I questioned grabbing his arm so he'd turn to face me.

"I'll get you Tori it's fine." He insisted slipping on his shoes plopping down on the couch. "What?" He asked because I'd been staring at him like he had a second head, as if he wasn't acting totally bizarre. I showed him that I saw straight through him with one simple gaze. "Okay... I just want to get you is all." He smiled suspiciously and grabbed my hand gently pulling me closer to him. I removed myself from his embrace so I could focus.

"The truth please. What is it?" He swallowed and scratched the back of his head. I mentally scolded myself for drooling over the way his bicep flexed tugging at his shirt. "Are you still upset about that night?" I wondered aloud wanting to know if he'd still had hard feelings. He shook his head staring blankly somewhere behind me thinking about something deeply.

"Tori I just found out some things about Jackson that made me very uncomfortable and I just would feel safer if you'd stay with me for the time being." He explained vaguely and I understood now why he wanted me to move in so suddenly. His eyes still didn't meet mine looking everywhere but me.

"What kind of things Rayner?" He shrugged and I wasn't sure he'd spill. "Tell me." I pushed but he kept his mouth shut tightly. "Then I'll just have him come pick me up right now." I turned away to get my phone and he grabbed my arm tightly with a vigilant look in his eye.

"Okay Tori but I don't want you to think badly of me because I really shouldn't have looked in his file. I could be suspended for not only looking but telling you what I saw. That was the least of my worries at the moment because Jackson was in my home. "Jackson got into some trouble after he disappeared which he'd been in trouble before but I'm sure you could've guessed that. This time was different. He assaulted a police officer, went completely mad. They arrested him and he was placed in a psych ward for 72 hours. He's unstable Tori and he only came here because his family was afraid of him and he knew he'd be able to use you." My stomach contorted with confusion and betrayal. Rayner sat me down next to him and tucked some of my hair behind my ear.