(29) Stab and Twist

I bounced my leg on the floor anxiously holding onto myself as my world fell apart once again. I tried not to let my anxiety get the better of me like it did on occasions such as this but I felt the darkness creeping in on my vision. Officer Barnes was pacing the room on his phone he hadn't spoken to me in about thirty minutes but it was probably for the best. A loud thump outside the door put us both on edge and a low guttural growl was coming from Kato's throat. I clutched his collar waiting for the worst. Officer Barnes pulled his gun from his side holding a finger to his mouth. Kato was in full attack mode and I kept my grip on him in case it was not someone meant to harm us. A powerful knock echoed off the walls and I whimpered audibly. Barnes carefully made his way to the peep hole and then opened the door with a sigh of relief. I too relaxed at the sight of Rayner and another officer I'd recognized from the country club. I assumed they were partners.

Kato wagged his tail his ears still flat on his head but he no longer looked as if he wanted to rip someone's throat out. Rayner's eyes landed on my shrunken form behind the large fur ball. He sighed obviously as relieved to see me as I was him. "Tori why don't you go to your room for a minute? I'll meet you in there in a second." Rayner suggested and I didn't argue for the first time in my life going to my room Kato following suit behind me. I chewed on my fingernails nervously trying to listen to their hushed conversations.

I jumped to my feet once Rayner entered the room waiting for him to tell me what was going on. He took me by surprise grabbing me and pulling me into him. His hand locked around the back of my neck curling in my hair. His lips grazed my neck and I inhaled the scent I'd longed for, for so long. "I'm going to keep you safe this time." He whispered pulling away pushing hair from my eyes with his hands on either side of my face. "I don't care what happened before this moment. I love you Tori." I felt the tears well in my eyes feeling guilty because I didn't deserve this man. His lips met mine and everything stopped. For a moment it was just him and me and everything was alright. Our lips moved together in perfect harmony and I felt the flames behind his lips. Too suddenly he pulled away to look at me again.

"As much as I'd love to continue this and take you right now we aren't safe here. We have to make a plan. Shits about to hit the fan, I am not even going to sugar coat it." His fingers grazed my jaw gently his thumb brushing along my chin. "Go wake Jackson." He jerked his head to the side and then he went back to his men in the living room. I felt jello legged and light headed but I obeyed running to Jackson's room to wake him.

"Hey Jacks—" His bed was empty. My heart dropped and I ran to check his bathroom. It was empty along with the rest of his room. I ran out onto the connecting balcony noticing the fire escape emergency gate was swinging in the wind. I realized he must've left through the escape, it was the why I was unsure of. Before I had time to think on it I heard a loud commotion going on outside the bedroom. I ran back inside hearing Kato growling so viciously I froze with fear. It was silent except for the sound of Kato's low bark. I peeked out of the bedroom catching the attention of all three officers who had their guns at the ready. Rayner strayed back a few steps motioning for me to stay put. I watched the front door and for a moment I thought we'd just made all those noises up.

We stood in silence for a few moments everyone relaxed a bit but that was when the front door was pushed in and six large burly men came barreling in heaving a large door breaching ram. The men were heavily armed and my stomach sank knowing we were out numbered. I prayed back up was on the way. I observed all the men and it was then I realized who was among them, Riley.

"Good evening gentlemen." It was Riley who spoke as he entered. He had a smug look upon his face not seeming afraid in the slightest. "My father has made his instructions perfectly clear." He walked forward and I heard the click of someone's safety flipping off. "Now, now, we both know who will win in this fight. I also know your back up is a little tied up with a ten car pile up. Just give us the girl and we will go peacefully. She may even get to live." He wagged his eyebrows. The officers were not letting up and I knew by their slight side eye to one another they had already formed a plan.. Riley took action seeing they weren't going to lower their weapons. He made a move toward my direction but Kato lunged for his neck latching on. I didn't have time to see what happened next because Rayner had grabbed me by the arm and pulled me into Jackson's bedroom and that's when the gun shots started.