• LOVER San

Pairing: San x Reader
Words: ~1.2k

Another day, another meeting with San. Every day after school we would meet up in the forest close to my house. The meadow we were spending our time on was something like a hideout for us to just enjoy the time together, especially since San didn't attend my school anymore.

Every morning I woke up, walked to school only to meet him in the afternoon which was pretty much the only highlight of my days. My school was pretty far away, however, I always walked there on foot. Somehow, I disliked cars and any vehicles related to that deeply. They gave me panic attacks and made me feel nauseous, so I picked the more peaceful route for myself.

"How are you doing in your new school?" I asked San as we had laid down on the green grass.

I turned my head towards the purple-haired boy who was staring into the air, watching the clouds slowly pass by. A little smile crept up my face while I was waiting for an answer. I couldn't hide how much I enjoyed spending time with him.

"I'm doing good. I'm happy, I guess" he replied "Just missing you guys a bit."

"We miss you too, Sannie. It's been almost a year since you left us..."

"Are you guys still talking about me?"

My gaze wandered back to the blue sky as San's head was turning in my direction to fix his sparkling eyes on my face. What should I tell him? I couldn't possibly tell him that they don't like to talk about him anymore. They always look at me so weirdly, somehow in awe, when I bring him up in our conversations. Because of that, I had stopped talking about him in school some while ago.

"I recently reminded the boys of your birthday!" I wasn't lying about that, though.

"So they're not?" He murmured, pouting.

"Maybe they're still sad that you didn't tell them a proper goodbye before you left..." I assumed.

"Maybe... but don't you dare to forget about me just because I'm not at your school anymore!"

"Hey!" I exclaimed.

I quickly turned my head back to meet his eyes in played shock. His eyes almost disappeared and his striking dimples showed as he laughed.

"We could never!"

We laughed.

____________________________________

Today was a weird day. I looked up the date, 17th August, several times but could never find something odd about it. San hadn't replied to my messages all day long, hence I had decided to just go to our usual meeting spot after school. However, I couldn't find him there. Texting him again and again, I realised that I should stop standing around in the middle of the forest and actually try to find him on my own, hoping I won't get lost.

Soon I was wandering around in the forest and arrived at a small lake not far away from our spot. Suddenly, I heard a branch break to my left which made me flinch. Before my eyes could realise who or what I was seeing, a figure jumped in front of me with a loud "WOOAH!!". I squealed in surprise but then quickly realised that the purple-haired figure was no other than San himself who laughed at my shocked expression.

"Hey! I could have had a heart attack!" I complained loudly.

"Sorry, sorry!" San apologised as he was holding his stomach while laughing.

"Stop laughing!"

"Make me!" His playful response switched a switch inside of me and I started to chase him with played anger.

Soon, he didn't have anywhere to go because he had arrived at the shore of the lake. Confident of my victory, I smirked, but so did he. Nevertheless, my smirk quickly faded as he simply turned around and ran straight into the water, leaving my mouth to stand open. As he was so deep in the water that his calves were completely covered, he turned around and provocatively called out,

"Are you scared of getting your feet a little wet or what?"

I couldn't let him win, not like that. As San wasn't looking in my direction for some moments, I sprinted through the stony shore straight towards him, making the water splash almost up to my face. Once he turned around, I was already standing in front of him and bent down, using my hands as a tool, to splash the icy water all over him.

His only reaction was to cover his face with both of his arms and to my pleasure, he was getting completely soaked. Eventually, I ran out of energy and just at the moment when I had stopped to mercilessly splash him, I slipped on a rock underneath my right foot which resulted in me landing on my butt. Without him ever touching me or trying to get revenge for my attack, I was at least as soaked as he was. After I had collected myself again, I heard San's high pitched laugh as he had watched me fall helplessly.

"And that's what you call karma." He giggled, but then held his hand out for me to help me get up. My pride, however, was way too big, so I refused his hand and quickly got up by myself.

"Now it's your turn!" I yelled and sprinted back out of the water to rush towards the forest with San chasing after me.

Both of us were laughing like maniacs, romping around in between the trees. I was having the time of my life. My energy was eventually leaving me, so I had to give up and ran onto a little meadow, which was surrounded by trees, letting myself fall down into the soft grass. San did the same as I and let himself down next to me, more gently as I did, while I was catching my breath.

As we had calmed down again, we were in a trance while watching the birds fly above us. The sheep-like clouds were moving awfully slow along with the mild wind. There was nothing more relaxing than simply laying here in nature with San next to me. I was at my peace when I was with him. Still, something felt off.

"I love you, San," I said just loud enough for him to hear.

"It's not your fault, y/n." San suddenly said out of context.

"What?"

"You know what I'm talking about; the car accident."

My eyes got teary and my vision blurry as I finally turned around to meet his sparkly eyes. His beautiful dimples showed as he was giving me a small encouraging, yet pained smile. By doing that, he was trying to take my pain away which led to only feeling more pain.

"You need to let me go."

With that, his figure slowly started to fade, but his smile never left his lips as he did. His hand wandered up to my cheek and I could have sworn that I felt the warmth of his hand one last time before it disappeared. Just as I wanted to grab his hand to hold onto him, San was gone and I only grabbed air. A quiet cry escaped my mouth when I realised that I would never see him again.

It had been exactly one year since the car accident had occurred.