[ 2 ]

The two stared at each other for a moment, probably longer than what was deemed acceptable and yet, neither of them felt uncomfortable

The two stared at each other for a moment, probably longer than what was deemed acceptable and yet, neither of them felt uncomfortable. The girl was taking in the American boy, this was the first one that she had been able to see up close since moving to the city and she wanted to admire every detail before he opened his mouth and sprouted a ridiculous accent that she would probably hate. When her father had mentioned that she was getting a tour from someone in the building, Noelle was sure that he was setting her up with some bitchy snobby American girl that only cared about her looks and what boy she was dating. Seeing this rather short and rather cute boy on the doorstep was even better than what she had imagined. Noelle wasn't interested in boys, not really, she would admire them but would never go further than that because they were a distraction and she didn't need to be distracted; she needed to work hard at school and please her father's business partners so that one day they would entrust her with the company that he had worked hard to build.

It wasn't what her true passion was but it was something that hardly any woman had control over, and she wanted to prove to everyone that she was smart enough to take on the responsibility. Moving to New York was a business deal, to enlarge the company and broaden the horizon for future investors; she liked an adventure but wasn't happy that she had to move across the world to get the adventure. She left behind her friends, her family and her beloved tabby cat that wasn't allowed to travel with them. Of course, she would never complain but she did have some doubts when she saw where their new home was. Her Father reminded her that this was only temporary and once investors started taking interest in his business, they would be rolling in money and would afford a much better place; even promising to buy her a new cat which pleased her more than it should have.

This boy wasn't exactly what she had in mind when she imagined what an American boy would look like. She had always pictured someone more muscular, with a cheeky grin and a glint of something hidden behind their eyes. Also, taller. She didn't think that she would ever be the same height as a boy her age and yet here she was, looking directly into the eyes of the boy that was about to be her tour guide for the evening. Maybe looks would be deceiving, even though he was quite short and skinnier than what she had pictured, maybe he was really sweet. That was what she needed right now, someone who was sweet and would teach her how to act American; by no means did that mean she wanted to fit in and blend in with the crowd. No matter what, you could count on Noelle Dean being her own person and no one, not even a bitchy snobby American was going to take that away from her.

Meanwhile, Steve was sure that he had knocked the wrong door but when checking his note, he had been told that Apartment 76A was where Dean lived and this was Apartment 76A. He wondered if maybe this was Dean's younger sister and she had answered the door on behalf of her brother, who was still getting ready. That was the only explanation. It could be the only explanation because he was nervous enough about spending the evening with Dean, let alone a girl that he had thought was called Dean. Steve wasn't the kind of guy to chat up girls and ask them on dates, he didn't know how to talk to girls; they were a completely different species to him and in that moment, he wished that Bucky had stuck around longer to help him. Bucky knew how to talk to girls, it was like his second language but Steve had never even taken the class before and in his eyes, this night was ruined before it had even started.