[ 66 ]

The camp was deathly quiet as the memorial service for Mama Donya was taking place

The camp was deathly quiet as the memorial service for Mama Donya was taking place. The entire community had come together to pay their final respects to a woman who had selflessly cared for others in a time when no one else seemed to care. The Flag Smashers were all in the compound, of course, not all of them could be in the service at the same time because they still needed to do perimeter checks and ensure that nothing unusual was happening. Noelle knew about the arrangements for the day because she had been part of the planning, she had given ideas for what would be tasteful and what they could afford during this time. The candles made perfect sense for the ceremony because it not only looked good, but it was also something that they had a lot of and were lit around the body so that there was light in the main room and people could pay their respects to Donya before her body was removed. Instead of crashing the service like the others had decided to do, Noelle headed through a different entrance and went to one of the training rooms.

She knew the place like the back of her hand and didn't have a problem walking down the same halls that she had been walking down for weeks prior to that day. A part of her was worried that someone was going to try and kill her for returning, but she knew that she would always feel guilty if she never spoke to her friends about why she left. Yes, she may have slightly lied about her relationships with the people behind the masks because in the little time that she had known them, they had become her friends. They weren't bad people; they were survivors and they were trying to make the world a better place. The only reason that she had left the movement was because she could see what path Karli was taking, with violence, bombing and lists of demands and she didn't want to sit around and watch bad things happen. She knew that by joining forces with Sam and Bucky, they could help stop Karli from becoming a monster and they could make the world a better place without hurting innocent people.

Pushing open the door to the training room, she was slightly worried to find the team all sat around the room. They had been taking a break from training, sharing stories and laughing about old memories with Mama Donya but they stopped when they saw who entered the room. Each of them jumped up from their positions, standing firm and preparing for a fight. It was hard to be there, to see the hatred behind their eyes as they faced the woman that had abandoned them without any goodbye. She hadn't told them anything, she just left the camp in the middle of the night and never came back. That was why she had come today, she wanted them to know her reasons for leaving and she wanted to stop feeling guilty about abandoning her. The people that had once been her friends, were itching their hands towards their weapons and refusing to take their eyes from her, Noelle stepped further into the room, slowly and kept her hands raised to show that she wasn't entering to start a fight.

"What are you doing here?" Nico asked, being the first to question why she had returned.

"I just wanted to pay my respects. I didn't know Donya, but I know how much she meant to you."

He furrowed his eyebrows, realising that she sounded different to how she had been before and put the pieces together, realising that her amnesia must have worn off. "You remember?"