[ 20 ]

The death of Agent Coulson had come as a surprise to the Avengers, because up until this point they hadn't lost anyone that they were particularly close to and now everyone was mourning the loss of an innocent man

The death of Agent Coulson had come as a surprise to the Avengers, because up until this point they hadn't lost anyone that they were particularly close to and now everyone was mourning the loss of an innocent man. He had tried to protect the aircraft and all of the innocent people on board, and in doing so, he had courageously given his life in service. Noelle and Steve didn't really know much about Coulson because they had only met him that week but they knew that he was a good man and he didn't deserve to die in the way that he had; he deserved to live a long and happy life but that privilege had been stolen from him by the prisoner which they had supposed to have been keeping imprisoned. Instead of staying on task and stopping Loki from escaping, the Avengers had been caught up in their own issues and that had caused a man to lose his life; no one was quite blaming themselves like Tony, who had taken the loss extremely hard.

Noelle knew that she wasn't the person that Tony was closest to, she knew that he had a resentment towards the super-soldiers that had known his father and for whatever personal reasons he had, he didn't like her very much. But out of all of the Avengers on board this aircraft, she was the only one that was confident enough to confront him about his grief, understanding what it is like to be helpless in this sort of situation and ready to offer any condolences that she could. Tony had a personal relationship with Coulson and was struggling with the idea that he was gone, she knew from her own experiences how to deal with something this painful and wanted to help the man in whatever way she could. Scouring the hanger, she eventually found Tony in one of the unused conference rooms; he was sat in the darkness with only one lamp lighting the room in a dim tone.

"I'm sorry about Coulson, he was a good man." She said, clearing her throat and standing in the doorway because she wasn't sure if she would be welcome inside the room or not.

Tony didn't look up, focusing his eyes on the blank wall ahead of him. "How would you know? It's not like you took the time to get to know him."

"I'm not here to make friends, Tony, I'm here to win the fight."

"You've made that extremely clear." He scoffed, leaning back in the chair and glancing towards the door which Noelle now stood away from, she moved into the room and stood in front of him.

"Look, I understand that losing someone is hard, but this isn't the time to grieve solemnly. This is the time to avenge his death, to make the world a better place because that's what he would have wanted." She tried to reason with him, hoping that he would take this chance to rise to the occasion and put the past behind him, but this wasn't going to be easy.

"You don't know what he wanted; you didn't know him." Tony replied, resting his arms on the table which stood in front of him and refusing to get up off the chair.

"I didn't know Agent Coulson very well, but even I could tell that he was an extremely brave man who sacrificed himself to protect innocent people. He would want us to do the right thing."