[ 3 ]

January 1936Brooklyn, New York

January 1936
Brooklyn, New York

Over the next few months, the three would become closer, if that was even possible. Steve and Bucky were like brothers and nothing would ever sever that bond that they had created, if anything, the arrival of Noelle made it stronger. Steve and Noelle were like soulmates, in the sense that they were basically the same person in many ways. They had the same interests and the same beliefs in many conversations which meant that whenever a debate began, Bucky felt ganged up on and would always lose no matter what the situation. Like, when they wanted to go to the movies to watch cartoons but Bucky wanted to bring a date along to a romantic movie; Steve and Noelle would get the deciding vote and cartoons would win. The relationship between Bucky and Noelle was a more complicated one; their relationship was rocky because sometimes they could get on really well and other times things would be tense between them.

Steve knew that there were unknown feelings between the two but never pushed for anything to happen. As much as he wanted them to be happy, he didn't want to ruin the friendship that they had created and was worried that if they started dating then the whole dynamic would change and they would no longer be the Golden Trio anymore. He would be forgotten. Every time they went on a date or they went to the movies, Steve would tag along and would just feel uncomfortable. He preferred them all doing things together, as friends and sometimes when Bucky would bring along a date, he would enjoy teasing his best friend for the entire night because it was something that Noelle thoroughly enjoyed as well. It happened over a period of time, the endless teasing and the jealousy when the other had a date; it all led to the inevitable and it all happened after Noelle returned from a date with a guy, she had met at The Jazz Club.

"So, how did it go with Robert?" Steve asked as Noelle slid into the booth beside him, instantly reaching for his untouched drink and downing it as fast as she could. "I'll take it that it didn't go well."

She groaned, placing her head on the table. "It was awful! All he talked about was his collection of army planes and the fact that he gets his mom to shave his back."

"You know, army planes aren't that bad. Don't you remember Alan? Now that guy was crazy."

"Oh God, don't remind me." She called the bartender over to get her another drink because after the date she had just had, another drink was exactly what she needed. "Another tequila please!"

Steve laughed slightly but stopped when she glared up at him. "You know, Buck is going to find that hilarious. He told you that there was something off with that guy."

"You can't tell him. Steve, I'm serious. If he hears that I went on another failed date then I'll never hear the end of it. It's so annoying, I'm stuck with the worst bunch of guys in the city whilst he goes on the best dates in the world."

As much as Steve wanted to tell her the truth, he knew that it wasn't his place to say. The truth was, the two had been lying to each other for months. Every time Bucky went on a date, it was awful and he spent the night wishing that he had been out with Noelle but when he returned, he forced Steve to lie with him and say that it was amazing. Then it started happening when Noelle went out, she also forced him to not say anything and the two were lying to each other. They wanted the other to think that they were having a great time on their dates so that they felt better about themselves; the truth was, neither of them would be happy until they admitted their feelings for each other.