[ 14 ]

February 1945Swiss Alps, Austria

February 1945
Swiss Alps, Austria

Steve and Noelle refused to talk to each other. Ever since they had argued in front of the entire team over who's fault it was that Bucky died, they had ignored each other and wouldn't even sit in the same room. Everyone tried to get through to them but they were grieving and it takes a long time for people to get through loss as large as this. Bucky had been Steve's only friend for most of his life, they had grown up together and when Steve's mother died, Bucky became the only family that he had. On the same grounds, Noelle was mourning the love of her life, she had imagined a future with Bucky and now she had to believe that she was never going to see him again. The only thing that she had left of him were his dog-tags that he had given to her and there was no chance that she was ever breaking her promise; she was never going to take them off. Agent Carter had tried to talk to both of them about moving past the argument that they had because they had never argued before and Bucky wouldn't have wanted them to react this way. But they were both stubborn and determined to ignore each other until the other apologised for what had been said.

Knowing that the war wasn't over yet, the Howling Commandos were still called up whenever a mission was started; most of them had been small jobs here and there but now there had been a lead over the final Hydra base which was where Schmidt was hiding and this was the big deal. This could end the war; it was vital that everyone was on their A-game and all issues had been dissolved. As a start, both Steve and Noelle were sat around the table with the other Howling Commandos and some other officials who were leading the task force but the best friends wouldn't look at each other and stayed on opposite ends of the table. Colonel Phillips was one of the officials in charge and he was pointing to different places on his map, trying to work out what the best course of action would be now that they had a team that would work together, to a certain extent.

"John Schmidt belongs in a bughouse." Colonel Phillips explained to his team, after coming from an interesting conversation with Zola, he believed that he knew more about the upcoming Hydra plans than before. "He thinks he's a God and he's willing to blow up half the world to prove it, starting with the USA."

"Schmidt's working with powers beyond our capabilities." Howard Stark, who had also been invited to the meeting, took a seat at the table. "He gets across the Atlantic, he will wipe out the entire Eastern Seaboard in an hour."

Gabe shook his head. "How much time we got?"

"According to my new best friend, under twenty-four hours."

"Where is he now?" Noelle questioned, rubbing her hands together because this was going to be her first mission since she was captured and she was pretty nervous about the whole thing.

"Hydra's last base is here." Colonel Phillips threw some pictures over to Jim, which he scanned before passing them down the table. "In the Alps, five hundred feet below the surface."