[ 4 ]

May 1943Brooklyn, New York

May 1943
Brooklyn, New York

One minute everyone was living their best lives and it felt as though nothing could go wrong and then they were entering a war; where men were signing up to possibly give their lives for their country. Most of the men in New York had been signed into the army and it was only a matter of time before they would participate in the war that had involved the world. Most men were scared, they would never announce that they were scared but you'd be a fool not to be; you were leaving home to fight for something that you didn't even know about and you had no idea if you'd ever see your family again, whether you'd ever get to go home again. Most men didn't want to fight and were not happy about going to war but there was one young man who wanted nothing more than to prove himself in battle and yet, he was the one man that the army didn't want.

Steve had always wanted to do something that would make his country proud. It was something that he had thought about ever since he was a little boy and was told that his own Father had died serving his country; he wanted to prove himself worthy of being Joseph Rogers' son. He wanted to fight for America and he wanted to help win. Of course, a part of him had never wanted the world to go into war because he hated the millions of lives lost and the destruction of a battle; but now that America was involved in this war, he wanted nothing more than to join in. Bucky wasn't as sure about the war, he was nervous and as much as he wanted to protect his country, he also didn't want to leave this life behind. That's how the two were very different. Steve wanted nothing more than to run into battle headfirst, he had no one back home waiting for him and all he wanted to do was to serve his country. Bucky was more cautious, he was concerned about what would happen if he left New York, more specifically if he left Noelle. The couple were inseparable and until this point, had been thinking about their future together; he wanted nothing more than to get married and settle down but now that the country was fighting, their plans had been put on hold.

They were completely different and at different stages in their lives but they were still the best of friends and would do anything for each other. Bucky was a perfectly able soldier who didn't want to fight and Steve was a lanky boy who wanted nothing more than to fight for his country. Noelle hated the idea of war and tried more than anyone else to ignore the inevitable. She knew that with drafting and conscription, it would be soon that she'd have to wave goodbye to her two favourite guys but by distracting herself with mundane activities, she didn't have to think about that. Bucky had tried more than once to sit her down and talk about their future, what it would look like now that there was a global war in mind but she wouldn't listen; she'd find a way to distract both of them and end the conversation that she had been dreading. They both knew that sooner or later their worst nightmare would come true and neither of them knew how they would cope with the news; all they could hope was that they would live past the war.

It started off as a normal day, Noelle spent the morning running errands as she had become a carer for her father in his old age and had to get all the items on the list so that he would be comfortable at home. He was extremely sick and it had put a halter on her plans; since graduating high school, she had wanted to go into business as she had been brought up with the intentions of running her Father's business but the war was enough to stop that from happening. Now, instead of becoming the CEO of the family business, she was playing nurse at home and the business had failed. Winston Dean couldn't cope with the stress and his sickness was getting worse, so he sold the business to the highest bidder and used the money to keep him and his daughter afloat in the city. Noelle wished that she could live her business dreams but everything happens for a reason and she knew that they could make it with the money that they had saved over the years. She was glad to have Bucky and Steve to rely on, as they always seemed to take her mind off the seriousness of her Father's illness.