[ 5 ]

Getting Steve cleaned up was an easy exercise as it was something that he took pride in, always wanting to look his best no matter what the occasion

Getting Steve cleaned up was an easy exercise as it was something that he took pride in, always wanting to look his best no matter what the occasion. And it wasn't long before they were all ready to head to the convention, they didn't know what they were about to witness because it's not every day that the 'World Exposition of Tomorrow' comes to the city but they were all excited about what they could possibly see. The convention was full of people, some of them were there to get distracted from the thought of their loved ones fighting in the war and some were there because they were about to be shipped to across to a foreign place to fight in the war. Everyone wanted a distraction and it seemed whoever organised this particular event, knew exactly how to distract people. There was a large sculpture of the globe in the middle of the city, where a roller-coaster travelled across the ceiling and Bucky was already thinking of ways to get the others on the ride with him. Noelle slipped away, excited to find the surprise that they had ready for Steve and Bucky was in charge of keeping him distracted until they were ready. Of course, that meant that they talked about the war as it was one of the topics, they avoided in front of her but was the only thing that Steve wanted to talk about.

"I don't see what the problem is, you're about to be the last eligible man in New York." Bucky sighed, looking around the exhibit in the hope that he would spot Noelle so that they could all enjoy his last night together. But first, he needed to make sure that Steve was in a happier mood and being positive was something that he was famous for. "You know there's three and a half million women here."

Steve shook his head, even though they were his best friends, he had always been jealous of the connection that they had made and was desperate to find his own love which was easier said than done. "Well, I'd settle for just one."

At that point, Bucky spotted his girlfriend who was talking animatedly to another girl. Even now, he couldn't believe that he had landed the most beautiful girl in New York; standing under the lights of the stage, she looked more beautiful than he had ever realised. From their first meeting, he knew that something would happen between them but he had never imagined just how deep he would fall in love with her. Before her, he would never have stayed loyal to one girl because he believed it was boring and that relationships were too mundane but now that he had Noelle in his life, he never wanted to let her go. That was what was so daunting about the war, they could lose each other so quickly and he didn't know what he would do if she was taken from him. He wouldn't survive without her. Noelle had had the brilliant idea of setting up Steve with his own date for the night so that he wouldn't have to third wheel with them, and she knew the perfect girl for him. Connie worked at the local Chemist, and they had become friends due to the everyday visits that she made to pick up prescriptions for her father. Connie was single and more than happy to accompany someone to the Expo, especially after Noelle had described him in such a positive way.

"Good thing I took care of that." He waved at his girlfriend, who suddenly noticed them in the crowd and waved back just as excitedly.

"What did you tell her about me?" Steve questioned, adjusting his jacket so that he would look presentable for his date and also not trusting his friends because this wasn't the first time that they had tried to set him up with someone; and it had never worked before.