[ 57 ]

Knowing that the Flag Smashers were the biggest threat that Sam had to worry about, he travelled to a nearby army base and prepared to head on his next mission

Knowing that the Flag Smashers were the biggest threat that Sam had to worry about, he travelled to a nearby army base and prepared to head on his next mission. Even though his mind was racing with the idea of someone being named Captain America, he tried not to think about it. He had been the one to hand over the shield but that was because he was under the impression that no one would become the new Captain America, he had been misled and now it looked as though he had given up the shield knowing what the government had planned. His mind was racing with hundreds of possibilities with the new Captain America but he remained looking relaxed, not wanting to hint just how worried he was with the decision. His focus had to remain on the Flag Smashers, this was his first mission since returning from the blip and he couldn't afford to get distracted by anything else. As he made his way through the base, his eyes caught sight of a poster, advertising the new Captain America, John Walker.

Torres stood at the top of the stairs and realised what Sam was looking at. "Seems like a good guy, you met him?"

"No." He answered before swiftly changing the subject because he didn't want to talk about John Walker. "Thanks for doing this on such short notice."

"Yeah, no sweat, I'm just finishing up the checklist. You'll be all good to go once you land in Munich."

The two of them head down the steps, Sam carrying his duffle bag as close to his side as possible and sighing when he spotted an angry colleague stomping through the base. This was the same colleague that had been ignoring his texts and refusing to acknowledge him since they returned from the blip, and yet, as soon as something happened to the shield, he came out of hiding and ended up at the exact same army base that Sam was in. "Shouldn't have given up the shield!"

"Good to see you too, Buck." He said sarcastically, trying to walk away from him but his colleague didn't get the hint and continued to follow him through the base.

"This is wrong."

"Hey, hey, look, I'm working, alright? So, all this outrage is going to have to wait."

Bucky took a second to take in the reaction from Sam and put the pieces together, understanding why the conversation was being avoided. "You didn't know that this was going to happen?"

"No, of course I didn't know that was going to happen. You think it didn't break my heart to see them march him out there and call him the new Captain America?"

"This isn't what Steve wanted." He shook his head, stopping them in the middle of the base and ignoring the looks that they were receiving from other officers who were wondering what was happening in the middle of the warehouse. They had no idea what the protocol was when two Avengers were arguing in the middle of their base and so, they just watched from a distance.

"Oh my God, what do you want me to do? Call America and tell them I changed my mind? Yeah, right." Sam snapped, slapping him on the back and once again trying to get away from him because he didn't want them to have this conversation. "It's a great reunion, buddy, be well."