[ 56 ]

2023Washington DC

2023
Washington DC

A few months had passed since the events of the blip and the world was adjusting to the disappeared returning to life as though nothing had happened. It had been hard for everyone, not only had the people who disappeared returned five years later to find the world changed but the people who had never left were now thrown off course by the sudden changes. Of course, families were happy to see loved ones return and welcomed back people that they had missed but some changes weren't received well by everyone. Some people had been living better lives in the five years of the blip but were now kicked out of their homes or made redundant at their jobs. It wasn't all hugs and kisses for everyone, some people were really struggling and the governments were failing to understand the struggle because they were all doing fine. Someone that was struggling after returning from the blip, was Sam Wilson, who had helped defeat Thanos in the final battle and had then been handed Captain America's shield. Steve Rogers had wanted him to carry on his legacy but from the minute Sam held the shield, it didn't feel right and that was why he was at the Smithsonian.

As he believed that he was not the right person to take over Captain America's position, he was giving the shield to the Smithsonian to view in the museum which had been dedicated to Steve's legacy. He believed that as much as Captain America was a hero who saved many lives over many decades, he also believed that this was a new age and they needed a new hero to take over. Someone that didn't carry around the shield, someone that they could rely on to provide a new legacy. A part of him remembered that this wasn't what Steve wanted when he left, but that was precisely the problem, Steve was gone and was no longer there to provide knowledge or advice on this matter. Sam stood on the stage, in front of a large hall of people and talked into the microphone, something that he wasn't used to because Falcon usually had stood behind Captain America whilst Steve made speeches and gave pep talks. This was new to him and he was trying to find the right words to describe why he was doing what he was doing. It had been a big decision for him but he believed that he was doing the right thing.

"Steve represented the best in all of us. Courageous, righteous, hopeful. And he mastered posing stoically. The world has been forever changed. A few months ago, billions of people reappeared after five years away, sending the world into turmoil. We need new heroes. Ones suited for the times we're in. Symbols are nothing without the women and men that give them meaning. And this thing..." He leans down and picks up the shield which was leaning against the podium. "I don't know if there's ever been a greater symbol. But it's more about the man who propped it up, and he's gone. So, today we honour Steve's legacy but also, we look to the future. Thank you, Captain America but this belongs to you."

Everyone in the hall applauds the speech as Sam hands the shield over to someone from the museum, who puts it into a glass box which would later be placed into the exhibit on Captain America. Even though Sam was still battling in his mind over what the right thing was to do, he knew that this was the only option that he had because he wasn't ready for the responsibility that the shield handed him. He knew that if he took over as Captain America, then people would never accept him for who he was and that would always be an issue. The Senator was quick to rush over to hake Sam's hand, more than happy with the gift that had been received. "Thanks again for coming forward with the shield, Sam. It was the right decision."