[ 7 ]

June 1943Brooklyn, New York

June 1943
Brooklyn, New York

After months of hard work and training that he hadn't even realised, he would need to go through, Steve was back in Brooklyn. It had come to a surprise to many that he had been chosen as the soldier that would go through Project Rebirth and become the first Super Soldier that would take down the Nazis. He was more than excited for the challenge but was also nervous and didn't know what to expect, this had been something that he had been waiting for his entire life. Fighting for his country, not the part about becoming a Super Soldier because he didn't even know that it was a thing until now. Either way, Steve was unsure about coming home to Brooklyn now that a few months had passed and he wasn't ready to see how much of the city had changed since he was last there. As he looked out of the window, he recognised certain places that he had shared memories with both Bucky and Noelle, which made him miss them more than he had realised. While he was training, he hadn't had time to write letters to either of them and missed them more than he thought he would.

All he could guess was that Bucky was in England, somewhere and was fighting with his troop. He hoped that his best friend was still alive and was making them all proud with his leadership skills that would help them take down the Germans. Meanwhile, Noelle was still living in the same apartment and was still nursing her father; that was what Steve wanted to believe anyway. He wanted to believe that nothing had changed and his two best friends were still perfectly fine, otherwise he would panic and worry that there was something seriously wrong with them. Just thinking about them as they drove through Brooklyn made him anxious, and Agent Peggy Carter noticed that there was something wrong as soon as he started fidgeting in his seat. She didn't know what it was, but there was something about this man that she particularly liked and had been rooting for him ever since he stepped foot in camp; now that he had been chosen for the project, she hoped that everything would go to plan and that it would work in his favour.

"I know this neighbourhood." Steve suddenly announced when he felt her eyes on him and got nervous that she would pick up on his anxiety. "I got beat up in that alley." The car drove a few blocks further as he watched out the window and commentated on wherever he recognised, which was usually for the same reason. "And that parking lot. And behind that diner."

She tried to keep her face straight but he managed to make her smile with his stern attitude. "Did you have something against running away?"

"If you start running, they'll never let you stop. You stand up and push back, you can't say no forever, right?"

"I know a little of what that's like." Agent Carter admitted, thinking back to her own life which had been hard because of how much discrimination she had faced to get to the position that she was now in. "To have every door shut in your face."

"I guess, I just don't know why you'd want to join the army if you were a beautiful Dame – a beautiful woman – an agent – not a Dame. You are beautiful but-" Steve stuttered and had tried to make what he said sound like a compliment but he wasn't the best at talking to women that he found attractive and was fumbling with his words.