[ 19 ]

After being on the hanger with everyone for a few hours and still having no idea what Loki was planning to do, Noelle was restless

After being on the hanger with everyone for a few hours and still having no idea what Loki was planning to do, Noelle was restless. She tried training in one of the spare rooms but she couldn't focus, every time she knocked down one of the punching bags, her mind raced with the worry that the rest of the team were fighting without her and needed her help. But every time she checked outside the door, everything was peaceful and no alien army had penetrated the aircraft. Deciding that training wasn't going anywhere, she headed to the lab where Tony and Bruce were working on their own project within the mission; she wasn't a scientist and didn't really understand what was going on but the two of them managed to talk her into distrusting Nick Fury. He was always the one to keep secrets from them and use it to his own strengths, they didn't trust whatever operation he was running and not only convinced Noelle that something sketchy was going on, but also convinced Steve to do some digging of his own.

She knew that if secrets were going to continue being held between the team, then the Avengers were never going to be able to work together because a group couldn't have an advantage if they don't trust each other. When she had first woken up from the ice, Nick Fury was the first person that she trusted because he was the first person to give her answers about her time asleep but now that she was really considering everything, he didn't tell her much. Even when she had been allowed to see Steve again, there were agents watching their every move and the rehabilitation lessons were favoured to only release certain information about each year. Seemingly not very helpful as she had talked to the more modern Avengers and didn't understand half of the references that they were making. Despite not knowing Bruce and Tony for very long, she already trusted them more than she trusted Fury; possibly trusting Tony more because she had known Howard and she trusted him with her life.

They were inside the lab when Nick Fury entered, not happy with the progress that had been made on the mission, because his best scientists had decided to take a different route with their research. "What are you doing, Mr Stark?"

"Uh, kind of been wondering the same thing about you."

"You're supposed to be locating the Tesseract."

"We are." Bruce answered, as the two of them began swiping different screens and reading the information that was broadcasted. "The model's locked and we're sweeping for the signature right now. When we get a hit, we'll have the location within half a mile."

"Yeah, and then you get your Cube back." Tony added, pretending that nothing was happening but waiting for his chance to unearth Fury's secrets. "No muss, no fuss."

Then the computer beeped loudly and something new flashed on the screen, in large red writing which caught Noelle's attention and she asked the question aloud. "What is Phase 2?"

Her answer comes from behind Fury, as Steve walks into the lab and drops a heavy weapon onto the counter; interrupting their own conversation and showing everyone what he had found with his own time to research. "Phase 2 is Shield uses the Cube to make weapons." He glanced towards the two scientists, who had the same information in front of them but on their screens; and it seemed as though Steve had managed to uncover the truth before their advanced technology. "Sorry, computer was moving a little slow for me."