[ 58 ]

Once Bucky and Sam had dusted themselves off and agreed to never talk to anyone about the rolling that they did in the fields, they began walking in the direction of the airport because that was their only chance of getting back on track with the ...

Once Bucky and Sam had dusted themselves off and agreed to never talk to anyone about the rolling that they did in the fields, they began walking in the direction of the airport because that was their only chance of getting back on track with the mission. Infiltrating the Flag Smashers hadn't gone to plan and not only had they let them go with all of their supplies but they had also found out that Noelle was on a mission of her own with them. Something that made things more complicated because they didn't know how they were going to try and take the movement down when their teammate was part of that movement. To make matters worse, they also had to deal with John Walker and his sidekick, who wouldn't leave them alone. Now that they knew about the Flag Smashers and that the two Avengers were on the case, the new Captain America was bound to try and join forces but there was a key detail that he was forgetting. Sam and Bucky had never followed Captain America, they had followed Steve and even if John had the shield, that didn't make him Steve.

"Sorry about Redwing." Bucky eventually said as they walked down the middle of the deserted road.

"No, you're not." Sam sighed, knowing that he was more than happy that his wife had broken the drone into two pieces. Neither of them had ever liked Redwing and it made sense to get rid of it in the middle of a fight. "What's going on in that big cyborg brain of yours?"

"It's computing."

Sam laughed at the answer, looking over at the stone-faced soldier that walked next to him and decided to mess with him. "You know what? I can actually see it. I can see the gears turning. Oh, they're malfunctioning, shutting down, yep, they're on fire."

"We have to figure out where the serum's coming from."

"Yeah, and how in the hell after eighty years are there eight super soldiers running loose?"

Before they could even think about how to address the situation, their conversation is interrupted by the honking of a car. Just when they thought their situation couldn't get worse than being stranded in the middle of nowhere with no plan, John Walker shows up and pretends that they're all best friends. He didn't realise how much trouble he was causing and believed that he was doing the right thing, not understanding why Steve Rogers' best friends weren't considering him a fellow Avenger when the government had announced him as Captain America. In his eyes, he had done nothing wrong and wanted to work this mission with them; not understanding that he was stepping on their toes. John leaned out of the jeep and tried to crack a joke. "So, that didn't go as planned, huh?" Bucky and Sam didn't even look away from the track as they continued to walk and John gestured for the driver to keep pace with them; hoping that he could charm them. "Look, at least we know what we're up against now, huh? And we're pretty sure it's one of the Big Three-"

"Aliens, androids or wizards?" Sam interrupted, already knowing what the big three were because he had the same theory, and wanted to let them know that he knew what they were talking about.