[ 24 ]

Leaving Sam, Noelle headed back to the apartment and sure enough as she was walking upstairs, she could see Steve just ahead of her

Leaving Sam, Noelle headed back to the apartment and sure enough as she was walking upstairs, she could see Steve just ahead of her. They didn't talk about what had happened that afternoon, with Steve disappearing to go and visit Peggy and Noelle having a breakdown in the middle of the museum. They had both joked about being in this world, with new people and different ideals but the hard part was that they missed the people that had been left behind. Steve missed Peggy, she was still alive but she wasn't the same and was suffering with some sort of dementia where she forgot about the accident and forgot what the year even was; it was horrible to witness but it was better than nothing. He was luckier than Noelle, whose only love died before they had even been under the ice. She knew that she would never see Bucky again, and that was what made her so upset, not believing that she could ever move on. That was why they were so focused on missions; it was one of the only things that gave them a purpose in this new age and they wanted to do their best; making up for seventy years of sleeping.

Just when Noelle was about to open the door to their own apartment, they heard rustling behind them and turned to see Kate, a nurse who worked long hours and was hardly ever in the building. She seemed to be juggling her phone on her shoulder and holding a large basket of clothes, every time they bumped into her, she was always friendly and was the only neighbour that was always friendly and polite towards them. Noelle had been hoping to set up Steve with the nurse but he was struggling to move on from Peggy, even though it had been many years since the two of them had any romantic connection. Seeing Steve staring at the blonde woman, Noelle nudged him and gestured to her, hoping that he would take the hint and make a move but he wasn't great at the dating game and awkwardly greeted her. "Hi..."

"I got to go though, okay, bye." Kate hung up the phone and then turned to them. "My aunt, she's kind of an insomniac."

"Hey, if you want, you're welcome to use my machine." Steve gestured to her basket because the machines in the basement weren't the best and they had invested into their own machine to make things quicker and easier. "Might be cheaper than the one in the basement?"

"Oh, yeah? What's it cost?"

There was a pause as the two of them stared at each other, Noelle couldn't believe that Steve was freezing so badly and couldn't wait to tell Natasha so that they could tease him even more than usual. Instead of waiting for them to come around, she elbowed Steve in the ribs to wake him up and he spluttered a response. "A cup of coffee?"

"Thank you, but I already have a load in downstairs and you really don't want my scrubs in your machine. I just finished a rotation in the infectious disease ward, so..."

"Well, I'll keep my distance." Steve put his hands up in surrender which made her giggle softly, which made Noelle want to vomit because as much as she wanted them together; she also couldn't bear the flirty atmosphere that she was in the middle of.

"Hopefully not too far." As they turned to go inside, Kate stopped them. "Oh, and I think you left your stereo on."

Noelle glanced warily up at Steve, knowing that they definitely didn't but pretending to not be concerned in front of the nurse. "Oh, uh, thank you."