CHAPTER FOURTEEN

It took my body a while to recover from what my brain had discovered. Atlas was a werewolf. He looked at me and I saw the same eyes that would look at me and cause butterflies in my stomach. Even though he turned and probably wasn't in any control, he still came to me. I picked myself up off the floor and dusted off my dress. I looked a little way into the forest to see if my horse was there but I couldn't see him. I decided to walk into town and catch Atlas before the wedding to talk to him.

The town was full of excitement and many people were walking to the castle to see the married couple. I breathed out trying to steady myself as I entered the castle via the maids' quarters. The other maids were so busy they didn't notice me walk through. My body was automatically running and I found myself outside of Anna's room.

I knocked. I waited. I almost giggled.

She opened the door and smiled at me and I smiled back.

"Anna, I have to tell you something. It can't wait." She looked at my serious face and opened the door wider, shooing the other maids out. She was sat on the bed in her wedding dress.

"Anna, Atlas isn't your soulmate. A long time ago, your father made a deal with my mother and she cursed me and you and Atlas. He is my soulmate and I want him. I thought by ignoring the problem I was saving your marriage but he feels the same way. He wrote me a letter asking me to tell him how I felt and if I didn't feel the same, he was going to marry you. I am sorry Anna. I am the worst friend imaginable." I collapsed on the floor sobbing, waiting for her to scream at me. Instead, she wrapped her arms around me.

"I know Eva. It's okay." I looked at her and wrapped my arms around her and we cried together. We sat and sobbed together and I couldn't help but smile knowing I had my best friend back.

Eventually, we stood up and she took off her veil throwing it on the bed. She laughed at me as we looked at each other's puffy eyes. There was a slight knock on the door, followed by Atlas' voice.

"Anna, are you in there?" she looked at me and my eyes widened. She shoved me to the door and I straightened out my dress before opening it. I watched Anna scurry into her wardrobe still peering through the slight gap. She made me giggle and I opened the door, looking into the beautiful eyes of Atlas.

"Eva?" he breathed out. I smiled and looked down. He put his hand under my chin making me look up and he wrapped his arms around me, creating tiny sparks on our skin.

"Anna understands everything. She is actually hiding in her wardrobe but I know she will want to talk to us both." I opened the door further and he stepped inside. I noticed that Anna had changed into a simple gown which made me smile as she looked happier that way. We sat down on the bed as she walked in front of us.

I explained everything to both of them in full. Anna was in tears when she realized what her father had done. I hugged her trying to soothe her. Atlas rubbed her back smiling at me every so often.

"Maybe my mother could help you, Anna. We can find a spell to talk to your father and find out what happened to your soulmate. We can still fix this." I focused for a second and used my magic to get a bird to bring my mother to the castle.

The two of them looked shocked as the purple sparks moved from my hands and a small bird landed on the railing of the balcony. I spoke to it briefly before it flew away.

"We don't have time for your gawking. We need to sort out what we are going to do about the huge party for your wedding." They looked at each other and back to me shrugging.

Anna stood up and spoke like the true queen she was, "We will change the party to celebrate your love instead of mine. But for the evening maybe don't make it so obvious that you two have hungry eyes for each other." We smiled and nodded knowing we could pretend for one more night.

We spoke briefly of the details before walking our separate ways to prepare for the party. I found my mother in my room. She explained how to do a resurrection spell on the ashes of the king. Once we had our answers, we were to go to her and she would finish the story.

The change in the party seemed to go by almost unnoticed by the residents of Borealis. They were just happy that there was music, free food and an open bar. It allowed many of them to socialize freely and I enjoyed listening to the gossip spread around the dance floor.

Atlas came around the dance floor and smiled at me. As I went to walk over to him, another man asked me to dance. I politely accepted and we began to dance, swirling around the dancefloor. At the end of the dance, I curtsied and walked back to Atlas. He grabbed my hand and dragged me from the dance floor into a cupboard, firmly closing the door behind him.