CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

Eva's view

I stood on the balcony, watching the sunrise imagining Atlas behind me with his arms around my waist. I put my hands on my stomach and sighed. I hoped today would be a new day. Anna was still sprawled out on the bed snoring. She always did look beautiful no matter what she was doing. I hoped I would find her soulmate and that he would be everything she desired.

I walked back past her and gently closed the door to the room before walking down the stairs into the women's army. A few girls were practising, and I smiled as they bowed their heads slightly to me. Titles down here were forgotten. We were all equals. But I was known for my 'extreme fighting ability'; that's how Hera put it. I knocked on Hera's door and she said aloud "come in" in a strict voice. She was tense.

"Good morning, captain." I announced. She looked up from the papers in front of her. They were scattered over her desk as if they were leaves from a tree in autumn.

We spoke briefly about her work and what Anna is constructing is much bigger than I ever could have imagined. I looked at the plans and Anna's signature on the bottom. It was amazing what she had conceived here. There were training areas for archers and horse-riders. This really would be a women army unlike no other in the kingdoms.

"The princess wishes you to be in charge of a legion of the army." I looked up at her shocked.

"Really? Well, I don't know if that's a good idea. I mean-" She held up her hand and I fell silent.

"You are the most qualified person to lead an army. I would not be able to pick a replacement for someone with such strength and determination as you. Think about this carefully." I nodded and thanked her for her sincere words. She then looked to me, asking why I came down to see her and my brain reset, remembering why.

"I came in to ask if you wanted to train. I need a worthy opponent." I smirked and she laughed rising from her desk. We walked out of her office into the private room, picked our weapons and went face-to-face.

I began circling her, looking as she held her weapon which was a double-ended spear. She wasn't giving me weaknesses there. As she lunged, I rolled to the side, jabbing her with my knife, my preferred weapon of choice. We took turns lunging and blocking, my arms took a few shallow cuts as Hera pulled back from hurting me deeply.

"So," she started as she lunged for me and I pushed her into the wall, "Tell me why you are really here?" I sighed, frowning and shaking my head.

"I came to fight, Hera. So, fight me." She laughed loudly, the one I remember from my childhood. She meant business, no pulling back. I stepped my game up as it became more intense. I cut her spear in two and she threw them down. I dropped my knives copying her change to hand-to-hand combat.

She went to punch and I caught her fist pulling her forward, kicking her in the ribs pushing her to the side. She grunted and came at me, kicking and punching leaving me to fall on defence.

"Tell me why, Eva!" I caught her foot and spun her into the wall.

"I'm barren, Hera!" I screamed out as she slammed into the wall. My magic erupted from every pore in my body, creating a bright light of the light purple magic. Hera covered her head, crying out as the magic surrounded her. I slumped down the wall and hugged my knees as the tears fell. Hera picked herself up, inspecting her body to see she had no marks although the room was burnt up. Her small cuts were healed completely.

"Eva?" she walked over to me slowly and sat on the floor next to me. She wrapped her arm around me making me weep further. She looked at me, seeing that my cuts were no longer there.

"I wouldn't hurt you, Hera." She nodded in understanding, telling me she understood.

"You raised me Hera. You showed me this whole world where I could be who I want to be. I wouldn't be the same person without you here." She embraced me tighter as I heard someone running through the corridor and the doors flung open revealing my mother.

"Eva, are you okay?" She ran over to me and looked at me, checking to see if I was hurt. I noticed that the cuts on my arm were gone. She then did the same to Hera.

"Thank goodness, you're both okay." Hera stood up and pulled me up with her.

"Hera, this is my mother, Agatha. Mother, this is Hera. She raised me when the king... when I was young and took me here." Agatha looked at Hera and tears filled her eyes.

She embraced Hera and I watched as they both sobbed.

"Thank you for raising my daughter. She is exactly how I would want her to be. You are the best person I could have asked for to care for her in my absence." Hera hugged her back and then looked at me and pulled me closer. As they both held me in their arms, I felt my worries disappear. If these two people could love me for who I am, I didn't need anyone else. If Atlas chose not to have me, I couldn't blame him for that.

I left Hera and Agatha to talk about my childhood. They both laughed and cried together and I couldn't help but smile.

I walked back up the stairs to my room. Anna had left the room and tried to make the bed. I laughed at her poor attempt. After remaking the bed, I sat down on the desk, getting pen and paper ready to write a letter explaining things to Atlas. I jumped at the sound of a knocking on the balcony door. I turned to see the same man Atlas was speaking to in the corridor the day before he left for his kingdom.

The balcony door was open but he still stood outside.

"Luna, Eva, I have been sent here by my Alpha to check on you." I nodded and told him to step into the room.

"Is Atlas your Alpha?" he nodded and I got a chair for him, before pouring him a glass of water as he was practically panting.

"Did you run all the way here?" he nodded again, gulping down the water, leaving the glass empty as it sat on the table.

"What is your name?" He bowed and said his name was Convel.

"Convel? That's a beautiful name." He beamed in my compliment and I saw the admiration flash in his features for me and most probably Atlas.

I asked him to tell me why he was here and he sat up straight.

"Alpha collapsed and when he tried to go to you, his brother stopped him. He said that something had happened to you. His brother wouldn't let him leave and I decided to come in Alpha's place. He wanted me to come and check on you in case something happened to you, but I don't see how it is all related." He frowned as he sat in thought.

"Your Alpha and I are connected through fate, so he can feel my emotions when they are extreme. I am okay and he is, too. I am certain that any pain he was feeling has gone away now. You can go back to him and look out for him."

Convel shook his head, "No, Alpha wants me to look after you until he returns to you. I should stay here."

I sighed and ran my hands over my face. He was a stubborn man but I was more stubborn.

"Okay, fine. Please go to him, give him my letter and then you can return here and watch over me." He thought it over for a moment before nodding in agreement.

"First, rest up and then at sundown collect the letter. Running at night is safer for you." He nodded before bowing and leaving through the balcony.

"You may stay in a room in the castle if you wish, Convel." He shook his head.

"I prefer being out there, Luna." I nodded my head and he jumped off the balcony and ran into the forest. I watched as he blurred out of sight to sleep in the woods until sundown.