CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

I stayed in my room the rest of the day, trying to write my letter. It became a blur of half-written words and ink blotches. By the end, my hands were covered in thick black ink. I sighed, rising from my desk and washing my hands in the sink of water.

"Eva, can I come in?" I heard Anna's voice from the door. I yelled a quick yes to her and heard the door close.

"I'm just washing my hands." I dried them and walked out to see Anna with a box in her hands. Her face was pale and she was taking deep breaths.

"Is that..." she nodded and I exhaled loudly. She placed the box on my bed and lifted the lid ever so slowly. If anyone was watching, they might think it was in slow-motion. As the box was opened, the crown of Borealis lay delicately on the soft cushions. It was a silver crown covered in rich gems, mainly blue, some white. The main gem was a pure diamond and the only one every ruler of Borealis had in their crowns.

"It's beautiful, Anna." She nodded still staring at it.

"Am I worthy enough to wear such a thing?" I smiled and let the memories of our shared childhood flood into my mind. They shared the same things: her kindness, respect and happiness. She was worthy of holding her kingdom and I didn't think anything I could say would change her mind. The coronation was tomorrow and my distractions made me forget it. I looked at the dress that was hung on the door. This time Anna chose it for me and it was beautiful, as beautiful as hers.

"You are the best person to rule this kingdom, Anna. Where you came from does not dictate who you are and what you are meant to do. You are beautiful, courageous, respectful, kind and most of all, you are my best friend. Anna, your time is now and you will grasp it and savour it. You will be the Queen of Borealis and rule in the most honourable way this kingdom or any in at least 100 years. I believe in you."

She turned to me and smiled. I grabbed hold of her and hugged her for a while. Rubbing her back, I could feel her holding me tighter. Eventually, we let go of each other and she closed the box. She walked around the room, looking at all of my and Atlas' things scattered around. I wasn't the neatest person but I refused to move any of his things, no matter how they were littered on the floor.

She found her way to my desk and looked at the paper all over it.

"He felt it too. So I am trying to write a letter explaining. The ones on the top are the best ones, so far I think." She nodded, reading them all in turn before choosing one and placed it on the top.

"How will you get it to him?" I smiled and walked to the balcony, opening the door and say in a loud enough voice for Anna to hear.

"Convel, I'm ready." I then stepped back inside, picked up the letter from the table, rolling it, tying it with a ribbon and sealing it with the mark of Borealis.

Soon, Convel jumped onto the balcony, having spent his day in the forest resting.

He bowed at me and then turned to Anna.

"Anna, this is Convel, Atlas' friend. Convel this is Princess Anastasia of Borealis. She is a friend of mine." He nodded and bowed to Anna. I knew he wouldn't address her in her royal status but a bow was more than I expected. I handed him the letter and told him to take his time coming back to me. He bowed again, to Anna and then to me.

"Yes, my Luna." Then as quickly as he appeared, he transformed into a wolf, startling Anna, and ran off into the forest back to Atlas.

"What was that?" I laughed and sat her down on the bed.

"Convel is a werewolf just like Atlas." She turned to me thinking deeply.

"Well, half-wolf anyway." She looked confused but nodded when I didn't further explain.

She breathed deeply. "Okay. Well, that's totally normal. Can he do that thing that, urm, Convel did?" I nodded and she swallowed her breath.

"That is why Convel calls me Luna and he calls Atlas Alpha. He respects us as his pack." She nodded again and then an unexpected smile filled her face.

"What is it, Anna?" She took my hands and smiled wider.

"I cannot wait to make people, all people, free of hiding who they are." She jumped from the bed, picked up the box and practically skipped down the corridor to her room. I laughed at her excitement and giggled at the thought of her becoming queen tomorrow. She would make a wonderful ruler.

I shut the door behind her and caught myself looking out over the balcony and wondering what Atlas was doing. I hoped he understood what I wrote in the letter and would continue to let me do what I needed to do. He would always be the love of my life but my destiny was leading me away from him right now.

I sighed and carried myself to bed, falling into the usual rhythm imaging his arms around me. We hardly slept together in the short time we were together. Now he was going to be a king and an Alpha. I was proud of him and I always would be. I hoped he would one day accept me as his Luna and queen but without the ability to give him an heir I wasn't so sure. My eyes shut and I felt myself drifting off.