CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

Atlas' view

As Convel left, I began pacing my room awaiting his return. In just a few hours I would have Noet come into my room and get me for the meeting. It didn't sit right with me that I would have to compete with my brother again for the crown.

I don't feel her anymore. Titan kept trying to feel for Eva's aura which seemed to have disappeared after the intense pain.

Hours went by and the wooden floor seemed to lose its shine where I had been pacing. A knock on the door woke me from my trance and Noet stepped into my room.

"It's time, brother."

I nodded and he walked down the corridor. I looked at myself once more, before leaving the room. Once I walked a short distance from my room, I turned back and got Eva's soap from the bed, placing it into my jacket pocket. It was comforting to have her so close.

I walked into the room, which was completely black. Titan took control but before I recognized what was coming at me, a silver dagger flew into my chest.

I groaned loudly and felt the pain surge through my whole body.

Titan, block the pain from reaching Eva. As he did this, I fainted from the pain and extreme use of my powers.

When I woke up, my whole body was on fire. I looked around to see my arms, legs and chest covered in silver chains. I was stripped of clothes which allowed the silver to burn my whole body.

I tried to reach for Titan but he was no longer there. I tried to stretch out to relieve any pain and pressure on my muscles but it just got worse.

"Ah, brother you're finally awake." I watched as Noet walked through the door into my cell. Sadly, he was followed by my parents.

"How could you do this to me? I'm your brother." He marched up to me and sliced my face with a silver blade I knew all too well.

"You are no brother of mine. You are a disgusting piece of vermin that should never have been born! I may have been overlooked all those years ago to become king but with your death, I will finally have what I deserve." He spat at me.

"If you were meant to be king, the council would have chosen you. But they didn't, brother." He glared at me but did not open his mouth again.

Instead, my mother walked forward and crouched down to be level with me.

"My poor child. This is all my fault. I should have been more careful all those years ago when I was pregnant with you." I looked at her face as she pitied me.

"I am not a monster, mother." She smiled sorrowfully, shaking her head and went back into my father's arms.

"Yes, you are." They walked out leaving me to bleed out.

I watched as my blood dripped from my face and chest onto the floor. My mind went to Eva. I began thinking about how she must be feeling without me there. I wondered if Anna was queen yet. I hoped my brother had kept his hands away from them both.

"Alpha?" I looked up and saw Convel through the bars. He reached out to grab them but I quickly told him to stop.

"Convel, you need to leave now! He will hurt you. I need you to get back to Eva and protect her. I don't know what my brother will do to her."

"No, alpha. I need to get you free from this." He reached out and was quickly burnt by the silver.

"You'll die in here, Atlas." I watched as Convel began to think of a way to free me.

"There isn't any time, Convel. Please, as my beta, protect Eva."

"She wrote you a letter. Would you like me to bring it to you?"

I thought about what she could possibly say to me and shook my head, only wanting to remember her in the best light.

He nodded and bowed before quickly leaving through the same door he came in through.

Just as Convel left, Noet entered the room. I growled at him and he just laughed. Eva's scent was clinging to him and I heard Titan emerge whimpering.

"What did you do to her?" I yelled at him, to which he laughed again.

"Oh, I did nothing to your pathetic mate. She may be beautiful but she has a foul mouth and that revolting half-witch blood running through her veins. Not good for heirs." He reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a small envelope.

"I found this in your room when I returned from the coronation. Anna looks beautiful as queen. Too bad, I'll have to kill her, too." I began to tug at the chains but it just burnt my skin further.

"Tsk tsk, little alpha. That isn't going to work. This letter is from your half breed bitch. Quiet down if you want to hear it." He opened the envelope frustratingly slowly.

" 'Dear my beloved Atlas'. What a sickening way to begin.

'I have missed you greatly since you left that morning to go back to Derever. I know you had to leave but the aching in my heart refuses to cease. However, in your absence, I have found something out about us.' She's very ominous, isn't she?

'Due to the nature of my parents, I have come to learn that I cannot bear a child.' Oh brother she is barren! I couldn't plan this better myself!

'This has caused me so much grief. I understand the desire to bear a child and an heir to your throne but you will never be able to have this with me. Please move on to another woman who can bear your child if you wish. I will always love you, Atlas. I will always love Titan. Love, Eva.' Wow, that must make you sick."

I felt Titan come to the surface and take over my body.

"You filthy wretched creature. Where is Eva?" Titan growled at Noet.

"I don't know where your barren hag is. I also don't care. She obviously won't be coming back for you as she wants you to move on. I guess I'll have to convince her you have."

Titan leapt at Noet causing the chains to rip from the wall. With a girlish scream, Noet ran through the door and slammed it into my face.

"Touch her and I will kill you Menoetius!" Titan yelled through the castle.

As Titan lowered his control, I began removing the chains from around us. My skin was covered in burns and I was severely malnourished and dehydrated which would eventually lead me to die. I didn't think I would heal from these wounds. I could feel that Titan knew that, too.

I hope we see her one last time.

"I hope so, too."