CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

Eva's view

I marched into the castle which led me to Anna and Thalia stood in the corridor. Their hands were intertwined and it made me smile. As I met her gaze, Anna blushed and hid behind Thalia. I laughed and Thalia rolled her eyes before stepping to the side. She pushed her slightly and Anna scowled before straightening out her dress.

"Okay, Eva what do you need?" My face moved from humour to sincerity.

"Noet is on his way here, Anna. The army is not ready to take him and his army on right now. I say we just spend time with him today and keep him comfortable. This way we can reduce his suspicions. Thalia, you can't be seen so maybe just-"

"No, I refuse to hide when Anna is going to be in the same room with a maniac." Thalia looked fierce and I just looked at her.

"If anything goes wrong, so many people will die unnecessarily. We cannot risk it, Thalia." I shot back.

Anna put her hand on Thalia's arm and gave her a smile. She then took her hand and they walked away.

As Anna walked back into the castle, she called back to me. "I will be ready in five minutes, Eva."

I nodded even though she couldn't see me and walked to my room, high up in the castle. I noticed how nothing had been touched in my absence and it made my heartache. Atlas' pillows were still sunken where he laid. His trousers were still draped over the chair. Even Convel's glass still stood on the side table.

I looked around the room and saw Titan strutting around. I watched as I kissed Atlas as he led me to the bed. Blushing at the memory, I turned around and opened the closet. My dresses lined one side with Atlas' suits on the other. Picking the closest one to me, I slipped off my overworn dress and dressed properly. I brushed through my hair and let it frame my face. Looking into the mirror, I tried my best fake smile. But I had large bags under my eyes from the lack of sleep. My lips were cracked from constantly licking my lips. The metallic taste in my mouth was becoming familiar from chewing the inside of my lip.

There was a small knock at my door and I turned to see Anna standing there. She smiled at me and quickly ran when the tears starting falling. I wept quietly, swallowing down the sobs and Anna held me, rubbing my back. She tried anything to soothe me but being in this room without Atlas was killing me. I didn't know where he was and it was terrifying.

"What if we never see him again?" I sobbed out. Anna pulled back and grabbed my shoulders, looking into my puffy bloodshot eyes.

"You will see him again, I promise." I nodded and she stood walking out the door. She turned and smiled, reassuringly.

I turned back to the mirror and wiped my eyes trying to hide any emotion I could. I couldn't look at myself without drowning in the self-pitying monster I saw before me. I knew I needed to be brave. As a warrior, I had no time to sit and cry over what I had lost. I had too much to gain.

As I stood up, Noet walked past the door with Anna. I walked quietly to the door, listening through the crack of the open door.

"Anastasia, with the disappearance of my brother, the throne automatically has gone to me. I do not mean to be so forward with you but I wish for you to become my Queen. Neither of us have found our soulmates so it makes sense." I heard her gasp and I covered my mouth. Disappearance? Yeah, right.

As I looked through the corridor, I saw Thalia stood behind the adjacent door. She was watching the exchange between the two of them. I couldn't read her face but I didn't need to, to realize she was angry.

"Menoetius, I am flattered by your offer but I am already a Queen. We could never join our kingdoms for our ideologies are just too different. My life is here, among my people. They live here free, yours are trapped by your severe ways." Anna spoke fiercely that made me smile. I heard a shuffle and when I stepped around the door, Noet had Anna pushed against the wall, his hand around her throat.

She was gripping his hand trying to ply him off. I quickly moved into the corridor as I heard him speak to her, "I am not severe, Queen. My people live without fear of the sick, twisted creatures that roam our kingdoms. Werewolves, witches and elves. They need to be killed and eradicated."

"Well, maybe you should try and kill those creatures right now, Noet." I stood behind him with Thalia by my side. Her hair was tied back to reveal her pointed ears. She pointed her arrow towards him from her bow. Her gaze was strong and unbreaking.

Noet turned his head and dropped Anna to the floor. She gasped, spluttering and holding her throat. Thalia quickly ran to her and helped her up from the floor. Noet smirked at the sight of them and then looked back at me.

"Where is he?" I demanded raising my hands. I felt my powers surge through me and magic filled the corridor.

He laughed at me, "You will never find him. He will be dead long before you will ever find him." I watched as he raised his hand, holding a medallion. Then he disappeared, portaling away.

I screamed out as the only lead I had to my soulmate was gone. I slumped against the wall, sliding down it until I hit the floor.

"Eva, ready your army. We leave tonight." Anna stated as Thalia held her up. "He will never hurt another person again."