CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

Martha scurried along behind me, nervously fiddling with her hands. I laughed internally at her and she just smiled at me trying to hide it. For once she was quiet and it showed just how serious she was taking this. The elders were serious people and they weren't going to let Martha go without a fight. I just wished I could convince them simply.

We walked through the quiet village in the early hours of the morning and Martha stopped at the door of the elders' hut. She raised her knuckle and stopped just before it touched the wood. I heard her breathe deeply and watched her knock gently on the door. The small noise seemed to echo around the village.

I watched her body tense up as the door opened revealing the witch elder, probably sensing Martha's magic. Martha curtsied and spoke in a quiet voice.

"May I ask for a meeting with you? There is a matter I wish to discuss." The elder nodded and allowed Martha to enter the hut. The door was swiftly shut in my face and I rolled my eyes. They obviously thought I had more sway than I really did.

I could tell Martha just wanted to see the world. She was tired of being trapped between trees being careful to never venture too far due to the horror stories of humans. It was true that humans were ungodly creatures that persecuted those who were different and the magics could have easily defeated them together but we chose to stand apart. The kingdoms fell. I hoped that with everything Anna and Atlas were doing that the four kingdoms the elders spoke about could one day rise again.

I walked back to the fields and looked out from the bench to the farthest trees. The dark trees loomed in the backdrop of the scenery and was a heavy reminder of the price that the elves bore. The few that lived in this village were most likely the last ones alive. I looked out and didn't see Thalia out in the fields. I hoped she was packing to leave for Borealis.

"Eva! They said I can! Isn't that amazing?" Martha came skipping and screaming, waking up anyone who was still asleep. Her face wore a huge grin stretching ear to ear I was worried her face might split in two.

I got up from the bench and hugged her as she embraced me. Then, she ran off to her hut to pack her things. I smiled and watched her start talking to herself about what she thought she would need.

"If the world is as safe as you make out to be, she wont be in any danger out there. But you will protect her." The elder stood next to me also watching Martha.

I kept my eyes forward, "Of course. She has a bright spirit and I can't imagine anything breaking that. The world is changing and I will protect with everything I have."

I looked to the elder and saw her nodding.

"We haven't had change here for decades. When your mother chose to leave, we never expected her to make it five feet outside the forest. Here you are; a stark reminder that the old ways have to change. I heard that a certain elf has asked permission to leave, too. If things change out there, come back for us."

I gave her my word and we began to talk about how the village works. She explained how the elves are the only reason they are all alive due to their special bond with nature. Nothing would grow here without them. She then told me how the witches help protect the village and the werewolves are warriors in case of battle. Even though they are different people, they created a coven, pack and drove together.

Soon the other elders joined me and we spoke of all sorts. As we walked back towards the gate where Martha had about five bags surrounding her, a soldier approached the elders.

He bowed before speaking, "There is a wolf in the forest. He isn't from the pack but is definitely tracking something."

"Is the wolf white?" I asked him and he nodded furiously.