CHAPTER FORTY

The night came quickly and the usual buzz in the castle was gone. The atmosphere was tense and everyone was nervous. I had rallied the soldiers and when dusk fell, we were ready to move out. Thalia told Anna to stay in the castle which led to them having an argument. Convel and Martha were stood together, holding each other. Shaking off my nerves, I walked from the castle to the front of the army. As I appeared the noise disappeared and I felt all their eyes on me.

"Tonight, we leave the safety of these walls behind us. We head for Derever. Tomorrow at first light, we will attack the army of Derever. We have been oppressed for too long. We are being chained and killed in our hundreds. We are powerful beings, made to live on this earth. It's time to take back the world that was once ours. It's time to step back into the present and make history. Tonight, we stand together! We fight together! We will win together!" I raised my fist into the air, hearing the cheers of the soldiers in front of me.

I walked to the gates and they opened. We got into our formations, with the same skilled soldiers together. I turned back around to see Anna. I walked to her and smiled at her.

"I'll be back soon, Anna. Look after your people and soon they all will be free."

She nodded, shaking in the nerves of losing us. "I just wish you didn't have to go." I understood how she was feeling but I had no choice.

"Goodbye, Anna." I hugged her tightly, hoping I would see her again.

Shaking off the nerves, I walked back to the front of the army and we marched off into the forest adjoining Borealis to Derever. There was no noise from the army trudging behind me. On either side of me, Hera and Thalia walked just as quietly. I wanted to settle the nerves of everyone around me but everything I thought of wouldn't help. I sighed and kept my head down. The forest was dark and the moon was bright. I looked up at the sky and saw the thousands of stars lighting our path. It made me smile brightly.

"What are you smiling at, Eva?" Hera whispered to me. I stopped walking and the army stopped behind me.

"Look up at the sky, soldiers. I know we are all truly scared of what lies ahead but look at the stars. Look at how they shine for us, being our beacon of hope on this dark night. We are fighting for something bigger than ourselves. Remember why you are fighting." I heard some murmurs in the crowd and as we began to walk again, they were talking amongst themselves. I smiled knowing they felt some sort of hope walking into battle.

We continued to march through the forest all night. Little did I know that Anna had been in touch with my father and when we arrived just shy of Derever, Sceneria's army was there. They welcomed us and quickly began to feed the troops. Some napped whilst others practiced their fighting. As I looked around, I saw how our army had grown.

"Where is the commander's tent?" I asked a soldier sharpening his sword. He pointed to a large tent with gold embroidering around the door. The symbol of Sceneria was on the door. I walked up to it and pushed open the curtain to see my father and a few men looking at a map. My mother was sat on the chair in the corner, reading the same large book she had on the first day we met. I smiled at her and she nodded politely before my father addressed me.

"Ah, Eva. Come in. We are just discussing tactics for the battle tomorrow." I nodded standing around the table, squeezing between two men.

"Welcome her to the table, gentlemen." My father spoke. They sniggered but obliged and I looked down at their plans.

"This won't work. We need to use our soldiers to their advantage. A sneak attack with a diversion is our best play."

"No offence, m'lady, but you don't know what you are saying. It's not like you understand any of this." A brute sniggered.

"Offense taken, asshole. Now, get out." I stood up to him. He laughed but it quickly vanished when my father pushed him out of the tent.

"We can use the stronger part of the army to attack the front. I believe Athena's army will be better used for sneaking into the back due to our skills of being able to blend in. The werewolves will mix with your army, King Leopold, and I believe the witches can stay to create shields for them. Thalia will stick with you and I will take Convel into the castle with me. No one else will enter into the castle until we free those who are prisoners. Does that work for everyone?"

A quick 'yes ma'am' was heard around the table and they quickly left.

"I'm proud of you, my daughter." My father beamed at me. I puffed out my chest, feeling pleased. Agatha walked to me and embraced me, her eyes gleaming with pride. They then stood there with their arms wrapped around each other.

"We head out at first light. Get your team ready." I nodded and left the tent.

Soldiers were stood talking as the plan of what was to follow was passed around. As the army gathered itself into the appropriate groups, Convel approached me.

"I heard you want me to come with you to find Atlas." I nodded to him.

"I am truly honoured, my Luna. I would do anything to free my Alpha." I smiled at him.

"We can do this, Convel. We can free so many. Just promise me, you will get Atlas out. With or without me." He tried to convince me that I would survive but promised anyway.

"We leave at first light. Spend this time with Martha." He bowed and left me alone.

I looked up at the stars and hoped that Atlas could see it all, too. I hoped that he knew I was coming for him. The moon was full and bright, looming over the sky. As my eyes drifted down to the mountains, I could see the castle of Derever on the horizon. There was a small village on the outskirts where many lived impoverished. It pained me that their world would be thrown upside down but I hoped that they would be free from the chain that Noet had been keeping on them for so long.

Shaking myself off, I walked towards the army. They knew it was time. It was time to free these people.