79- Setting Things Straight

You laid in the love of your life's arms and couldn't help but worry about whether Harlow had taken off again. You got up to grab a glass of water and peeked in her room on the way back. She laid peacefully asleep in her bed and you found yourself reminiscing about when she was a little girl...  how close you'd been.

It'd always been the two of you against the world. Flying back and forth between whatever city Jaden was performing in. Hanging out backstage, waiting for him to walk off stage and take you out for late-night breakfast. Jaden always came home for the important dates and events, but all the mess between those dates circled in red on a calendar was just you and Harlow... in the trenches... figuring out life together.

You climbed back into bed and handed him the glass of water, trying to work up the nerve to open up about the shortlist of things you needed to tell him.

You: "I'm not trying to hurt you when I say this, but it needs to be said anyway."

Jaden: *trying to kiss you again*
"I already said I'm staying home. We don't need to fight about it anymore, baby."

You: *trying to gather all of your resolve*"Lucas is a sweet boy and you should have seen the look on his face when she took off

"Lucas is a sweet boy and you should have seen the look on his face when she took off. I really think he likes her."

Jaden: "I'm sure he does. She's laying in his bed and making out with him on demand. What's not to like?"

You: "We both know if anyone is taking advantage in this situation, it's Harlow. Lucas is a good kid."

Jaden: "Sneaking out, sneaking around... that's your definition of a good kid? We can't just let her lie about boys."

You: "In case you forgot, Harlow did those things too."

You: *after a few minutes of silence*
"Boy."

Jaden: "What?"

You: "Not boys. Boy. One boy."

Jaden: "She lied."

You: "She was scared. She and I haven't been seeing eye to eye the last few weeks and she was scared but she doesn't usually lie. In fact, she's just like you and usually says exactly what she's thinking without a filter."

Jaden: "Ouch."

You: "It was bound to happen eventually. She's starting high school in a few weeks. Did you really think she was going to graduate and never have a boyfriend?"

Jaden was completely silent as he sipped the water. He knew arguing with you was futile once you set your mind to something. That'd been the basis of your entire relationship. Him being unreasonable and you making everything right by the sheer will of refusing to give up.

Jaden: *giving in*
"But of all boys, why Lucas?"

You: "They say little girls fall in love with boys just like their fathers."

Jaden: "How are we anything alike? Hopefully, I don't still act like a dumb teenage boy?"

You: "Baby, look at him. You have been his idol since the day he was born. The way he dresses. How sensitive he is while carrying a quiet, guarded strength. Dark hair and tattoos..."

Jaden: *looking shocked*
"Tattoos? When did Lucas get a tattoo."

You: "About a week after you came back for his birthday a few months ago and showed him the new tattoo you'd gotten to celebrate your new album. You are that boy's hero and always have been."

The talk was going so well, you took a deep breath and tried to work up the nerve to tell him the secret you'd been hiding. Jaden took the opportunity in the silence and cracked the joke:
"She's gonna be the death of us. Thank God we only had one. Can you imagine being outnumbered?"

It'd only been a joke but at the moment, it fed into the fear you'd been holding onto for weeks... Jaden had always imagined life of being a rockstar with no entanglements.  Sure, he'd fallen for you and wanted to be with you but the idea of marriage and kids hadn't been in the plan. It all just happened so fast and before you knew it, his tour let him escape from the reality of how scary that life was to him.