58- The Promise

Jaden turns down the hall and sees Josh sitting on the floor with his hands covering his face.

Jaden: "I forgot my phone in there, but I'm grabbing it so I can call Nessa's parents back. Is there anything else I can do?"

Josh: *rambling from wherever he is lost in his thoughts*
"She was just fine a minute ago."

Jaden: "Where is Lucas, Josh?"

Josh: "Right inside with a nurse. I was freaking out and that's not good for him so I came out here to calm down."

Jaden: "How is that working."

Josh: "Its not. She is my whole world, Jaden. I can't do this without her."

Jaden squats down and sits by Josh in the hallway and reassures him.

Jaden: "Bro, everything is going to end up ok. I donated blood once, if I need to again I will. Whatever you need I will do 100%"

The doctor approaches and Josh stands up hunched over barely able to look him in the eyes

Dr: "Nessa is back in surgery. We thought we got everything clotted, but she is bleeding internally still."

Jaden: "Does she need more blood? Anthony and I were a match and can donate again as soon as you let us."

Dr: "I will let the nurse know, but right now we have enough blood."

*turns to Josh*
"Your fiance is going back into surgery and even though you aren't her legal next of kin, we've spoken to her parents and they have deferred the decisions to you because they are out of state."

Josh: "What does that mean?"

Dr: "It means if any choices need to be made, we need you close to make them."

Josh: *turns to Jaden*
"Remember that favor you offered..."

It's been almost 30 minutes so you decide to go check on Jaden. You walk into Nessa's room and find Jaden sitting on the bed with the baby in his arms and the nurse standing over him helping him feed him. You stop and stare, completely awestruck.

J: "Josh had to go back with Nessa. She's having another surgery."

Y/N: *stumbling over the words you want to say*
"You- You're holding the baby?"

J: "I promised Josh I wouldn't let Lucas be alone with strangers. I can't leave him."

Nurse: "You're doing a great job. Do you need me to help you burp him."

Jaden: "No I can figure it out, I think."

He holds the baby tight to his chest and starts rubbing Lucas' back.

J: *kissing the top of Lucas' head*"I just need to make sure he knows he's not alone and he's safe and his mom and dad are coming back for him

"I just need to make sure he knows he's not alone and he's safe and his mom and dad are coming back for him."