80- Heart to Hearts

*JOSH'S POV*

They rode home in silence because every time Josh tried to speak, he got flustered and just wished Nessa was there to help. When they got home, he was relieved to find her sitting up waiting for them.

Nessa: "Lucas, why didn't you tell us about Harlow? We would have understood but sneaking around was not okay."

Lucas: "I didn't want to make a big deal out of something I didn't even know if it was gonna become a thing. She isn't exactly open about how she feels."

Josh: "That she gets from Jaden, for sure."

Lucas: "I love her parents, I mean they are my Godparents too but-"

Nessa: "Do you love this girl?"

Lucas: *stuttering as a flashback washed over him*
"I- I don't know."

Josh: "Look, you guys are so young

Josh: "Look, you guys are so young. Your mom and I are going to support whatever you decide but what are the chances you end up with the girl you fall for at 15?"

Lucas: "Didn't you and Mom meet and fall in love at 15?"

Josh was stunned silent because he knew his son was right. The moment he'd seen her across the hall, freshman year, he knew that he'd never want anyone as much as he wanted her and nearly 20 years later... he hadn't.

Nessa: "Sweetie, just give it some thought. Before you get too involved, you need to be sure you're willing to go through all the mess that comes with what you're choosing."

*END JOSH'S POV*

A few days of the silent treatment had passed and you finally saw your chance to catch Harlow alone with Jaden out of the house. He'd had to pay a visit to his manager's office to go over the details of his new tour offer. He still insisted he was going to turn it down but insisted it was unprofessional to do it over the phone. 

You knocked on her door as she laid across her bed, painting her nails:
"Can I help?"

She handed you the polish and sat up, placing her hand on your knee to steady it.

Harlow: "I'm sorry that you're disappointed in me."

You: "Baby, for what? Because you like a boy? We all love Lucas so much so how could we possibly be mad that you like him? Your dad might take some more getting used to, but you and I are just fine."

Harlow: "Probably won't be necessary. I doubt he and I are gonna date or anything. I don't even know if he likes me like that."

You: "Harlow, he kissed you. Lucas isn't the type of boy that just kisses girls he doesn't like."

Harlow: "He has so many girls after him that he doesn't even realize. One of my friends literally told me to my face that when school started back up, half the girls she knew were waiting for a shot with him."

You: "With Lucas? No offense, I can see why you like him but he's always been a little dorky."

Harlow: *suddenly looking sad*
"I liked that about him but then he grew to, like 6ft 1 and got a super hot haircut and the tattoo sure doesn't help."

You couldn't help but laugh hearing your daughter describe a boy you'd known since the day he was born with some of the same descriptors and lovesick look in her eyes you'd had about Jaden from the night you met him in a parking lot all those years ago.