Chapter 22: Frenzy

It was three weeks before I was safe to leave the hospital wing. Felicity visited me a few, and Harlan never stopped his constant 'check ins'.

Forrest, however, never came back after that one conversation we had.
I guess you could say I felt intimidated to enter the woman's room this morning.
Any normal girl would.

It's a good thing I'm not normal.

I smoothed out my dress and left my hair down. I opened the doors and entered to see girls speaking excitedly with each other. There was no doubt less girls were present. Only ten remained.

The moment I entered, all heads turned toward me with slight shock.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Taylor shouts like I've already offended her.

I put a confused expression on my face. "What do you mean?"

Taylor shoots up from her spot and charges over toward me, two girls following behind her. "Weren't you kicked out?"

"I was shot." I answer in a flat voice.

Taylor takes a deep breath. "I know that. But I thought you were sent home afterward."

I just stare at her, this time I'm genuinely confused. "Are you- Were you dropped on your head as a child? Do you know what happens when a person gets shot?"

Taylor flicks her hair over her shoulder. "Well, the princes obviously felt bad for you."

"That's why you're still here." The dark haired girl behind her responds.

I look behind Taylor's shoulder and at the girl. "Who are you again?"

She straightens her back and shoots me a fierce glare. "I'm Shannon."

"Oh," I nod. "I didn't even know you were in the selection." Her cheeks turn pink. "Nice to meet you," I continue, sounding sincere.

Shannon is not quite sure what to do, so she just looks at me with a disgusted look. "I can't really say the same."

I frown. "That's a shame."

"Well she's here." I look over and see Felicity with her back straight and glaring slightly at Taylor. "Deal with it."

Before any of them could say anything, I was surprised to see that Harlan enters the room. "Hello ladies," He greets with a smile and a few girls blush.

"Hi Harlan." They all mumble.

Harlan walks straight over to me and places both hands on my arms. "How are you feeling?" he looks down at me with concern.

"Pretty good, actually." I say honestly.

Harlan smiles brightly like I just made his day. Hell, who knows I probably even did. "That's wonderful. I wanted to make sure you didn't need anything. I have a meeting in a couple minutes and wanted to come check on you."

I forcefully command redness to present themselves on my cheeks and I smile gently. "Oh, um, thank you. But I'm alright. I promise."

Harlan looks at me for a few more seconds, more time than was necessary. He finally releases his hands but picks up my own to place a kiss on top of my palm. "I'll check in on you again tomorrow."

He's cut off by Victoria bursting through the doors. "Ladies! I know because of certain circumstances the welcome party for the Italians has been postponed, as well as their visit. But they will be arriving in a week and I would like to get back on schedule." She slips on her thin glasses and scans her clipboard. "Now that we are all alive and well-"