Chapter 28: The Best Part

Everyone begins to line up, one after another. My mind races, trying to think of a way to escape.

There has to be something.

What have I observed over the years?

I glance over at one of the 'officers' trying to examine a girl wearing a hat. He plucks it off her head and grabs her cheeks. That's when I notice an arrow tattoo right behind his ear. It was more prominent with him because his skin was so pale.

These were the same men who attacked the palace.

It was like a switch went off and a distant memory flashed into my mind.

I grab Forrest's hand and quickly dart into the ally.

"Cordelia, they will catch us." He argues through a hiss.

"Kiss me." I say and back myself up against the stone building.

He seems taken back and blinks a few times. "Excuse me?"

"Kiss me." I say more urgently.

"Listen Cordelia, as much as I would love to, this is hardly the time-" he is then cut off because I grab a fistful of his t-shirt and pull him into me. Our lips crush together and the moment they do I wrap my arms around his neck. This needs to be aggressive, and when I sped up the passion Forrest didn't argue. Our mouths move together fiercely and I break apart for a moment to whisper in his ear. "Pick me up."

He seems to understand and places his hands on my hips and lifts me up as I wrap my legs around his waist. I tangle my fingers in his hair and the kiss reaches the point where we are almost swallowing each other.

"Hey! You two!"

I don't flinch and neither does Forrest. We only continue.

"HEY." The voice booms and I purposely begin to kiss along Forrest's neck.

Forrest shivers before responding. "We're a little busy here."

"I don't care. Come over here-" He snaps but someone cuts him off.

"Declan, just leave them alone. We don't have the time for this."

The man with the booming voice scowls. "Whatever."

We continue to kiss as the footsteps retreat. After a few more minutes we slowly pull away from each other. We are both breathing heavily as Forrest rests his forehead against mine.

"You are absolutely brilliant, Cordelia."

***

On the car ride back, we are both silent. After at least twenty minutes Forrest decides to be the first to speak up.

"Go ahead. Say it already."

I glance over at him. "Say what?"

"I told you so." Forrest continues to concentrate on driving.

"I wasn't going to say I told you so." I look out the window, watching the trees blur together in a fit of green.

"Oh really?" Forrest says like he doesn't believe me.

"I understand why you had to stay. I was right about leaving earlier, sure. We would have never found ourselves in that situation if we did. But you also would not have had the chance to help out the people who severally needed it."

"You're holding something back." Forrest says wearily.

I wait a few moments before answering. "As generous and caring as you are for your people, they are not worth your life. You are above all of them, all of us. You inherit the kingdom which means you can't risk your life for something you can hire other people to do."