Chapter 25: Dear Lila

"Your task with welcoming the royal Italian family was shot to hell." Victoria sighs, scribbling something down on her clip board. "After everything that has happened lately..." Victoria says in a sad voice. "Our staff is just going to handle things. But that means there is going to be a ball-"

She can hardly get the word out as the girls in the room screech with delight. Me, on the other hand, could not dread this event more.

"AS I was SAYING." Victoria raises her voice and the selected stop their excitement. "There will be a welcoming ball for the family. But there are strict rules we must go over." Victoria says in a harsh tone and the room goes absolutely silent. "There is a young prince that also happens to be an eligible bachelor." Victoria's gaze cuts like glass. "You are in no shape or form allowed to flirt with him, openly seek him out for a dance and whatnot, and especially are not allowed to be alone with him. If any guard, staff, or royal even catches you disobeying these rules with Prince Romeo, you will be automatically kicked out of this selection, regardless of what the princes say. You are here for them, not for the crown. And in advancing on the prince you will be displaying you only care about the crown."

The room remains a dead silent as each girl glances at each other, wondering who will make the wrong move. I'm sure someone will, because someone always does.

"Now," Victoria says in a more cheery tone. "Make sure to have your maids make a ball gown for you. You will present yourself in front of the royal family, and you girls must look your best. The ball is in a week, so tell them to hurry up." She says before briskly exiting the room.

***

As I walk into my room, Elise is already bouncing on the balls of her feet. It was nice seeing her happy. I honestly never thought I would see that smile return to her face, at least for a while anyway.

"You seem like you're in a good mood." I laugh as I plop onto my bed.

Elise continues to grin at me. "So. I heard about the ball."

"Yeah?"

"You see, I've been working on this dress. For you, of course," she says with a twinkle in her eye. "And if you want to, this is the perfect opportunity for you to wear it."

"Elise, you know I would wear anything you make." I say and she continues to grin.

"Oh just imagine," she sighs. "This ball is going to be amazing." Elise plops down next to me on the bed. "The last time we had a welcome ball, it was a couple years ago. It was absolutely stunning. You have to literally dress to impress." she says with a sudden urgency. "Which is why I should really finish up that dress."

I wasn't going to say anything, but I knew the real reason she was working on that dress. She was doing it to distract herself from grief, and even though that certainly was a from of a coping mechanism, I wasn't quite sure it was the best one.

But what would I know.

"Take your time, Elise. You have a week." I say cautiously.

Elise wrings her hands before glancing back at me. "Oh dear, I almost forgot." she laughs nervously and walks into my closet. When she exits, a pile of clothing is in her arms.

"What's this?" I ask, confused.

"A gift from Prince Forrest." Elise scrunches up her nose. "Although, I'm not sure why he would leave a t-shirt and jeans for you."

The way Elise looked when talking about Forrest concerned me.

"Elise, what are you thoughts on Forrest?" I ask, using a new approach to get to know him. Elise once told me she has been here since she was a child, so I'm assuming Elise has known Forrest all his life. Maybe not personally, but just like Lucy Leger, she had to have heard things.