Chapter 11: Honest Truths

I open my doors, pretending to be startled when I see Prince Harlan sitting on my bed.

"You scared me." I press a hand to my heart.

Prince Harlan stands up and walks over to me. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to jump down your throat earlier. I just- It's a sensitive topic for me. I don't like to be seen that way, and I didn't want you to see me like that kind of man."

I smile up at him, making it as genuine looking as I can. "Prince Harlan, I don't see you that way. I never did to begin with. I'm not sure how the rules work around here, and I wanted to make sure..." I trail off.

Like he was hesitating, or considering this move for a long time, he reaches out and takes my hands in his. "Cordelia, don't call me Prince Harlan. Or Your Majesty. Just Harlan. I would never pressure you into something you weren't ready for."

I squeeze his hands. "Okay. I believe you."

He takes one of my hands and presses the top to his lips. "I will see you tomorrow, Cordelia. I would like to take you out for lunch."

I smile toward him, shocking myself of how genuine it almost was. "Sure. I guess I'll tag along."

He chuckles and walks over to my door. With his hand resting on the doorknob, he glances over his shoulder, looking me in the eyes. "You look absolutely stunning tonight." he says.

Making myself blush, and I didn't have to try too hard, I smile shyly toward him. "Thank you." Then he leaves the room, letting all three of my maids enter my bedroom once again. Elise squeals as Athena grins and Daisy has on her normal neutral expression.

"It worked." Elise winks and nudges my arm.

"I guess it did." I laugh for real.

"We must get you ready for bed, miss."

The voice shocks me as I turn my attention to Daisy.

"I would prefer you call me Cordelia." I say to her and her expression doesn't change.

"And it is my job to call you miss." Daisy says in return as she goes into my closet.

"Daisy has a point," Athena says. "I feel it is inappropriate for us to call you anything more than miss." she then follows Daisy into my closet.

I wasn't quite positive what her and Daisy's relationship was just yet. But they definitely shared some kind of connection. It wasn't something I would look into, though. I have more important things to worry about than my maids calling me by my first name.

Elise sighs. "Those two are such buzz kills. Well, for one I don't think it's inappropriate at all and if they have a problem with it they can report me." she says in an annoyed tone and disappears into my closet.

They must be talking about me in there. It doesn't take that long to find a nightgown.

Elise exits with Athena and Daisy trailing behind her. Elise hands me my pajamas and my two other maids gasp.

"I know you don't like that we dress you, and I understand that."

"Elise what are you doing?" Athena snaps. "Show her some respect-"

"This is very much respect," I say to Athena, but not in a malicious way. I was just being honest. Which is a rare occasion. "She understands that I feel very uncomfortable when others do things for me that I can very much do myself. I appreciate your help, really. But I would like to be more independent." Without waiting for a response, I walk into the bathroom and change. And I couldn't explain how much relief I got from doing something as simple as dressing myself again.