Chapter 42: Chased By A Demon

It was more of a scream or cry than it was a yell. Cordelia wasn't real. I destroyed myself. I ruined myself. I was cold and heartless. I didn't deserve anyone because I deserved to be alone. Those tears I refused to shed over the years because I thought it made me weak poured down my face silently.

"Lila," Forrest says softly and takes a step forward but I take one giant step back.

"Stop. Don't come near me." I sniff. "You don't love me. Not anymore. I want to go home."

"What are you talking about?" Forrest asks carefully.

"I'm done with all of this. You love Cordelia you don't love me. I don't deserve to be here!"

Forrest shakes his head. "You really think that I'm in love with that selfish bitch?" He says in a light joking tone and I almost laugh. Almost.

"Yeah..." I trail off. "I'm a sociopath." More tears spill down my face.

"Okay, first of all, no. I'm not in love with fucking Cordelia. I actually hate her. You never realized this but the moment I found your journal something in you cracked. I saw it. Ever since then you have been showing these signs of compassion and caring for other people. You're strong and independent and basically everything I wish I could be. That is the girl I fell so deeply in love with. And I highly doubt that girl is Cordelia. Cordelia was the girl who would pretend to be the perfect girl for my brother just so she could get the crown."

I don't say anything. I just let him touch my face because it's the last time he will probably ever do it. He could believe those things about me, I would let him. But I knew better.

"Forrest," I say sadly and refuse to look him in the eye. "I don't.. I don't deserve any of this. I don't deserve you or your love or any of this. Don't you see that? I need time to think-"

"Second of all," Forrest continues is a softer tone as I feel him press me up against the wall. "Stop saying you don't deserve anything because you do. Don't you see that? Even when you were persistent on not caring or getting involved that's all you've done. Your need to protect the people you care about was too strong. I'm not letting you go anywhere, Lila. You're not leaving this palace. Not when I've finally got you."

His lips press against mine and we move together in perfect sync. I feel his tongue glide across my lips like he's asking permission.

"But I led Harlan on." I argue as I pull back. "I don't have feelings for him in that way. Shannon actually cares about him and I as going to take that away from her for my own selfish reasons. How can you keep me here?" My question becomes a whisper as Forrest trails light kisses down my neck and across my collarbone.

"Mmm," He hums. "That's right, you said you fell for me. But I want to hear you say it." His lips hover just on top of my shoulder and I lose focus.
"I love you," I say for the first time ever aloud. It felt pretty great to be honest for once.

"And I love you, Lila." Forrest responds as he finds his way back to my lips. Our sweet kisses soon become desperate and hungry as we take each other in. My fingers were digging into his hair and his hands squeezed my waist.

But then I remembered why I had come here and how Forrest could have been killed because of it.

A loud knock on the door startles both of us as Mikhail's deep voice fills the room through the crack in the door. "Miss Leger says she needs you, Miss. "

I pull back with all the strength I have and look up at him. I'm sure my eyes were just as foggy as his. "I came up here for a reason I can't explain to you because it's dangerous. I don't want you to push me on this, I just need you to trust me."