33: Work Is Never Done

-edited-

Veronica POV:

It's felt like ages since the last time we stepped foot on the land. Everyone threw together nice welcome home party, unfortunately only 40 minutes into the party I've spotted the four people who are now targets in our own home.

Xavier explained everything to me on the way here, told me how much he hated what we had to do but was sure to justify it. To me, a human, there's no justification for how these people are to be slaughtered because they may or may not make a mistake. But I guess that's how it's always been, it's just my first time being in the front row seat.

"Don't look so bothered." I turn around to see Oscar, "Xavier had to step away but I thought I should tell you, you look tense." He whispers.

"Take a gander as to why." I say before sipping my water and putting my cup on a table. If Xavier doesn't have to be here, then why should I?

"You're gonna draw unwanted attention to yourself by being unrelaxed and stand off-ish." He informs.

"I'm gonna go up to my room, if anyone asks I wasn't feeling too well because I'm pregnant."

I begin to walk away, when I notice Daya staring at me from across the room talking to Jax... I mean Dyce. I turn back to look at Oscar and he gave me a 'I told you so' look. But I avoid going in either direction and head for the stairs.

I rush to my room and close the doors behind me, beginning to feel in over my head I don't feel well. My stomach begins to turn into knots, and the room seems to heat up to a thousand degrees. I thought I was stronger than this... but what if it's too much.

Xavier POV:

I return to the party and it's great to see everyone's having a good time. I just got off the phone with Alpha Devereaux, we've decided to set our hatred aside to take care of the people who need to go missing.. make it look like they were casualties at war.

I know that it sounds fucked, and that's because it is. But sacrifices have to be made for the great or good. Four lives is better than my entire pack being annihilated. But there's a party going on, not time to mourn yet.

I see Oscar and Mason laughing about on the side of the room, the party was roaring earlier, I guess I missed the peek because everyone seemed to be coming down.

I raise my cup to them and they raise back. Oscar says something before making his way towards me. "Havin' a good time?" I ask him.

"Definitely, the ones who needed it the most are still holding onto what's left of the party." He laughs.

"I'm sure if it. It's indeed been the longest four days of my life."

"I'd bet, with the shit that went down. Veronica must not have taken it too well."

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Well she seemed a bit off earlier, Grayson brought it to my attention, but when I spoke with her, basically telling her she needs to relax to keep people from raising eyebrows she just left pretty much."

"I thought she was doing fine. But that's my fault for being naive enough to believe that this would all come so easy to her. Who all do you figure is suspicious?"

"Grayson, Novia, Lexi, Rhodney, Dyce and Daya." He tells me confidently. "I kept a close watch to see if anyone would raise suspicion."

"Fuc-"

"Hold on though." He tells me. "Everyone could just think that she's still getting used to the position. Don't jump the gun on discipline just yet."