25: 7 Years Ago

-edited-

Veronica POV:

"Ok... you may believe me... and you may not. But everything I tell you will be true." I look into Xavier's electric blue as I struggle to form the truth. I don't want to. I don't know what will come of this.

He stood as he registered the fear in my eyes, the hairs on my arms standing. My throat suddenly dry, and voice caught in a impenetrable bubble. He held me close to where I no longer feared anything to where I only felt safe, like nothing was going wrong. But something is wrong, really wrong... and no matter how bad I was to keep it from him, I can't... not anymore.

"Xavier..." I start.

He slowly loosened his hug to only look me dead in tearing up eyes. "Whatever you need to tell me, say it, and we'll push through it together, whether it's good or bad." Every time he says this there's always a sudden wave of confidence, and control. It's our thing, we push through it together good or bad.

"This was seven years ago...

"It was a basic summer pretty much, I was with my best friend, Lucy, super excited that we were going to be freshman next year. Used a lot of summer nights watching movies on how to act as freshman in high school to just fit in.

"We hardly ever separated ... we like conjoined by the soul, we always needed to be with one another. Our little things was 'us before everyone', cute right? Until the night, we found a game to give us access to the other side. We didn't believe it was real... all the movies were just that... movies. Something some bored person created to have a creative person bring it to life for the entertainment of others.

"Yeah, those were movies... but what happened to me and Lucy was real... and it's all my fault no doubt.

"Our parents wanted us to spend time apart... they said too much of anything wasn't a good thing so for the first time in the first month of summer we couldn't hangout. But what was one day to stop us. So we snuck out, maybe ten o'clock? Her parents were sleep but my dad, he wasn't, but of course I didn't know that.

"So we go to the wooded area that separates our homes but we only meet in the middle. She brought the board game that she hid in Candy Land box. So we read the rules, say 'Hi' keep you your fingers on the eyes, and don't take them off with out saying 'bye'. Everyone knew the rules to play Ouija.

"We met what at first we thought was an angle, because it told us so... we asked yes and no at first. Like when you were alive did you have brown hair, we'd guess how old he was when he died... took us about twenty minutes to guess 62.

"I didn't think any of it was real, I thought Lucy was moving the eyes of the game the whole time, but she wasn't.

"My dad kind of snuck up on us, and we screamed in fright and he yelled for us to get in the house and we were so scared of my dad coming out of no where we never said 'bye'. We didn't know anything weird was going on, no suspicion of any demon activity, until 3 weeks before school, Lucy said she woke up in the middle of the night and saw something staring at her. Gray and black with yellow-ish white eyes maybe four inches apart just floating there.

"At first she thought she had a vivid nightmare until one night I woke up to use the bathroom and as I was walking into my room I looked my mirror, and behind me, it watching was the same thing.

"I went to sleep with my parents that night but surely told Lucy the following day. My dad never told her parents she snuck out, but he was there. He didn't play the game but he was still there. So we told him and he said that he catch it only when he was dark places.

"Maybe a week later we realized it was our friend from the game, because from questions we'd ask, he found a way to ask them back.

"So I went to a church, and told a priest his name, because apparently knowing it gives you power over the demon. For only there we were safe, I've only spoken his name once after that and I wish to to never say it again.

"It got to the point where me and Lucy didn't want to be apart anymore, it was as if the signs were only getting worse, so we did what any other kid thought was the right idea and searched for nearby women who may actually have the gift to listen to the other side. That's how I found Feronda.

"See, she was listed as a fortune teller... we just wanted to know if this evil would ever leave us... she told us no, and that if this demon isn't trapped we won't live to turn 14. But she had an idea, an idea that shook us to our core.

"To sacrifice one of our bodies as a jail for the demon.

"I was a coward. I didn't want to be trapped underground, the thought just scared me death. But Lucy, she didn't want her conscious to trapped with a demon for however long it took. We couldn't decide.

"That night, during dinner, my father drugged my best friend. Then later that night we took Lucy's body to Feronda there was when she casted her spell, she told me no price because I will forever remain guilty for this. And she was right.

"While the other would live their life, and she said the girl who will live her life, her son born from true love... the son born-

"The son. Born of true love. Will be the demons vessel. And when the boy dies. The demon is damned to hell.

"Year after year I would go back and see there was a different way, so I could get Lucy and rid of the demon we released. But she said no. But the last time I visited her, was when I found out I was in love with you Xavier, that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with you and have a family. So I begged and begged her to not let me carry a boy so I wouldn't have the bear this. But now I have to.  I'm so sorry." I finally let the tears escape my eyes, falling to my knees holding my face in my hands. As broken and vulnerable I felt in years.

Feeling cold, and alone I cry harder knowing that Xavier will leave me for someone doesn't have the history of playing with demons.

But I feel his hands, his big, gentle, warm hands on my shoulders as he effortlessly picks me up. Soon I was in his embrace. He didn't say anything he just hugged me, and I don't know what he's thinking and it's killing me.

"I understand if this doesn't work for you anymore." I step out of his hugs, drying my face and trying to find breath to breathe.

"Veronica Faith Anderson." I take my time to look up at him, not wanting to see the look in his eyes as he turns me away. "We'll get through this. Ok?"

"But Xav-"

"Hey. I listened. I always listen." He started to step closer to me. "I know this seems like it's something impossible to get out of, we'll figure out a way, together."

"But Xavi-"

"No. I love you. I'm in love with you. You're my everything." He barely separated our hug. "I'm in." He looked me in the eyes and gave me a half smile. "I'm all in. Through thick and thin, we can get through as long as we're together."