14: Talking

(Media picture of Dyce)
**Ansel Elgort as Dyce**

-edited-

Veronica POV

The car ride was intense and quiet. Oscar was sitting in the front seat so I know he felt something was wrong, and he knew to just shut up. Every once in a while I will catch Xavier glances at me through the rear view mirror, but I'd try and look away even though I know he saw me like I saw him.

I didn't know if I want to go back to the mansion with them, I prefer to be somewhere normal.. like home. I can use some piece and normality for a little while, plus some time catch up on my college assignments that I've missed because of the chaos.

Is it weird though, that I feel scared of Xavier, but I want him at the same time. A part of me says to jump out the vehicle that's going 75 miles per hour, and the part says to tell Oscar to switch me seats so I can hold his hand until we reach our destination.

I get that feeling in my stomach again, the weird noise and burning chest. "Pull over." I say holding my mouth and he pulled over, getting out the car the same time as me. 

As soon as my hands and knees touched the ground I felt it all come up, and I knew the tears were on their way. I kept sticking my tongue out, scraping the stomach fluid off my tongue with my teeth and spitting it out. Xavier let go of my hair and kept it out of my face. Oscar handed him a water bottle that he gave to me. I rinsed my mouth twice before I was ready to get back in the car.

Before I got in the car I stared at the car that stopped behind us, and seeing Jace behind the wheel I forgot about him Omar and Mason.

I got back in the back seat, this time I laid down. I didn't know how much time we had until we go to where we're going and I didn't want the awkward tension anymore.

***

Grabbing the pillow, I shift my head waking myself up. I recognized the room, it was Xavier's room and I was laying in the bed that I last saw him before I went on my mission. But I don't see Xavier anywhere and frankly I don't want to leave, there's only two people here I do like and I don't know where they are.

I sit up against the headboard and I sit in silence, I don't know what else to do. Knowing that there's beasts- why am I calling them beasts? I loved the fact of they were, half human and half beautiful creatures but what if they're just like Xavier... they don't all love me so they don't have to hold back anything they want to say or do and it's not like I can fight back and win. And I'm suppose to be a Luna.

The door open, and I saw Xaya, the girl who hates me more than anything walk inside. "I'll let him know you're awake." She said but I called her before she could leave.

Something about her was different, quite depressed, no emotion in her voice. Not a care in the world. "Please don't tell him, I just want to go home." I say. She looked pale sick, and a little thinner from when I last saw her.

"I'll tell him you want to go home then." She says. She was very nonchalant, her voice was bland and dry. Her mind was made up, and she was going to tell him what she wanted, not necessarily what I wanted.

"Are you ok?" I ask her.

"Yea, I'm fine." But it was clear she wasn't.

"If you're going to lie you can try and make it more convincing." She only shrugged her shoulders.

"You know what happened." She scoffed. "I screwed up, I was used by my mate to do the right thing and almost got my brother killed. I'm doing just as good as any girl with no mate, and the only reason why I'm still here is because my brother is Alpha. Because he's older, smarter, stronger, and now unstoppable because he has you." With that she just left. I honestly forgot about her pack betrayal for that guy, and I honestly can't tell if he missed out on her or dodged a bullet. Even while she's sick and miserable she's hard to read.

Only five minutes later the door opened again and it was Dyce. "Alpha Xavier sent me, he said you probably don't want to see him right now so I'm going to be taking you home." He tells me as he held up the car keys.

I got out of the bed and out on my shoes, realizing I left my socks at the hotel. I give him a hug, because I just really need one. Leaving the room, I see everyone looking at me again I didn't like it. I felt like prey and I was wondering who was going to attack first. But no one attacked, and me Dyce made it outside alive.

We were in a garage, and I just followed him because I didn't know where we were going, not until the head lights of a black Range Rover came on and Dyce walked to it. I got in on the passenger side and once he got in fastened his seatbelt and started the car he was taking me home.

I didn't know what to say. I've been complaining about never having time to get to know Dyce that I don't know where to even start or if this is the time for a conversation considering Xavier is managing to wrack my brain from miles away.

"My mom doesn't know I'm pregnant." I tell him. It just came out, I didn't plan it. I wanted to say something and as soon as I opened my mouth that's what came out. "She's not going to be happy." I tell him.

"Why not?" He asks me.

"My mom believes in getting through school, getting a perfect job, and wait until I'm financially stable, and married to think about starting a family. There's nothing wrong with that, but I kind of skipped a few steps and to my mom there's no room in life for mistakes. She's going to want me to get rid of it... I haven't told Xavier either." I tell him as I lean my head on the window.

"Don't you think that's something he should know? I know you think very highly of your mother and if she makes any sense at all you're on board... but this isn't between you and your mom. Its between you and Xavier." I know he's right, he literally knows me better than anyone else in the world.

"Xavier and I have been dating for four years and he thought the convenient time to tell me he was a werewolf was when he was about die and I am pregnant with something I didn't know really existed. He can wait for me to tell him about how my mom is going to push me to abortion or adoption." I roll my eyes knowing a part of me should wait to tell my mom with Xavier, but the larger part is too stubborn.

"Yea, he wasn't right for not telling you. Maybe he should've told you after the second year, but certainly not when he thought he was going to die." He says. "If you're going to tell your mom, and I know you will. You should consider telling her with Xavier, handle whatever your mom throws at you, together." See, he knows me better than anyone else.

"I love him, but he said some things back the hotel that makes me scared of him... like I can be safe but I'm not quite sure." I tell him.

"What did he say?"

"He said he's a better person when I'm around." I sigh. "Then I asked him why? And after a couple minutes he answered. I feel like he was trying to say something without actually saying it though, but just pretty much how he's going to want to keep me from seeing and how there's going to be times where I want to leave him." I looked up and I can tell he was listening but he was also just driving.

"But he's not wrong. But I guess you're skipping the part where the pack is his family, and he'll do whatever needs to be done to protect them.. to protect you. Of course it won't be pretty, there will be times when Oscar won't be able to handle a situation, but Xavier can. He's stronger with you too, happier. Whatever you're feeling just remember you guys first date, I remember when you first told me that. How exited and happy you were. Because he's that same guy." He pulled in front of the house. "Just think about it." He tells me. 

I give him a hug before getting out the car. "I will." I say closing his door. 

I walk up to the house, I should've known the door was locked so I knocked and when my mom saw me she smiled so widely. "I haven't heard from you in days." She sounded relieved and angry. 

"I'm sorry to have worried you mom."

"Come on in." I look back and Dyce was gone.

"Want to tell me where you've been and why you haven't called or texted?" She asked me.

"Me and Xavier was on vacation. We wanted to leave our phones behind," I give her a hug, "I should've told you before we left."