30: The Temple

-edited-

Veronica POV:

It's like every time I try to let myself be safe, I'm not. I'm trying not to worry because any stress I feel, I know the baby feels it too. I'd rather be anywhere but here right now, even if it means being with my mom.

"Come on." One of them instruct. "You three are going to see why we made the decision we made." I look at Xavier and he seems at loss. I put my head back on his shoulder as we walked further into the strange building.

"For years and years the councils come here to meet and discuss the importance of our presence to ensure our futures. Here is where we learn, Chase and I are only the messengers." This guy seems calm now, as of earlier where he acted as if there was no light at the end of the tunnel. "Our lives are like a painting, you may like what you see, but it's the story in it all that really matters." The was actually kind of beautiful way of putting it.

"We often forget Romulus and Remus, the brother who started this whole shebang." I can tell this Chase guy was trying to make the situation lighter. "The boys raised by a wolf and eventually became one too. We worship our Goddess, but in a way these men birthed us."

"So they're like the werewolf version of Adam and Eve?" I ask. I can feel Xavier looking at me, but I look to the men for an answer since they know so much.

"I guess you could say that." The other one answered. "But they simply had one job, to procreate. But the brothers somehow became enemies. Breeding to go against one another, leaving their eldest to a different part of the world to expand just so they can beat the other."

"How did two brothers become enemies off of something that should have made them closer than anything else?" I ask.

"We don't know." Chase answered. "No one knows but them. Everyone has rumored it to be that they had the same mate, but there's counter arguments for that theory."

"But all we know is, growing up to be the first of what they were, they met here. The very place giving them the answers to all their questions. So the select few of the council asks questions and we get our answers. For which we share with our brothers and sisters to ensure our future." The other guy informs.

"So you mean to say, that the goddess or the brothers, are the ones that told you kill the listed people?" Xavier asks.

"Accurate."

"And you just listen to the council and carry out what they say?" Dimitri asks.

"Yes."

"So you never been a part of the meetings? You just sit and wait to be told like a couple of errand boys?" I can hear the hatred and confusion in Dimitri's voice. I feel like the invite was suppose to help understand, but has only risen more questions.

"I wouldn't say-"

"So you have no idea what goes on in there." He said cutting off Chase. "So how do we know if anything they're telling you is valid?" He has a point. "What if they're just telling you they talk to Goddess, but really they're sitting on some pedestal because they know you'll believe anything since they're just old and-"

"Wise." Xavier says. "I think I get it." I look at him, because I know I don't. "It population control, isn't it? Too many territorial animals and space is getting limited. Take out the rogues and their families, and it's just justified by their evil doings and a conspiracy for vengeance."

Population control?

"I don't think that's right. Right, Levi?" Chase asks, Levi, so that's his name.