32: Going Home

-edited-

Xavier POV:

I throw my feet over the edge of the bed before sneaking a peak at my gorgeous mate sleeping peacefully. I want to wake her up, but I'm not sure if I should, she needs to sleep in because we had a long night. And not to add on the last meeting is in an hour and if everything is going to go down like I think it will then we leave very soon after.

"Hey." A very yawning and soft voice.

"Good morning gorgeous." I land a kiss on her temple. "Goddess you're remarkable." She lets out a groan before turning her head away, most definitely hiding her blushing. "You can't hide." I grab her by her waist and pull her towards me as she sluggishly tries to crawl away.

I crawl over her and begin planting kisses on her bare back, waiting for a moan to subtly escape like always. "Mmmm." And there it is. I roll her over and there's nothing greater than looking in the eyes of the one person that carries your life unknowingly.

"I love you so much, I don't think you could possibly understand."

"I love you too." She kisses me before making her grand escape from the bed, but I don't chase after her as I enjoy the view of her walking away.

I lie down feeling defeat of a battle that's yet to begin. Even pregnant her body calls for me, and my eyes refuse to look away. I don't even have to have sex with her, holding her would be just enough.

I can hear the shower turn on, and I do need to shower before the meeting- "Come on." I here my gorgeous mate say before peeking her head around the corner. "Today please."

I can't help the smile that grows on my face, because I can hold her but the sex is great too. "Yes ma'am."

***

I zip the last suitcase of my things, because looking to see my mate still folding her clothes.

"Would you like any help?" I offer.

"Unlike you I'm not just going to throw my clothes in a suitcase and call it a job well done. I prefer folded clothes over balled up clothes."

"If you say so, but my method is much faster."

"And lazier." She adds.

I look at the clock and I have twelve minutes before the meeting. I expected Chase to show up and give me a rundown on how this is going to turn out, but he doesn't show and I should be getting on my way. All I know is if the others find out that Dimitri and I went into the temple to seek answers to the questions that they have... we'd become the most hated alphas in existence. And if they find out I helped Chase set out the packets yesterday, then my mate and I become a target.

"Hey, love, I have to get going, but I'll be back after the meeting."

"It's fine. I'm going to order room service and watch tv, just make sure here will be your first stop after the meeting." She kisses my cheek.

"Of course gorgeous." I leave a kiss on her lips before leaving.

I have this uncomfortable feeling of not knowing how this meeting will turnout or affect the packs from here on out. I know whatever Levi and Dimitri saw would be the apex of the final event.

Finally arriving with two minutes to spare, I take a seat in the back. Already this feels off. Normally everyone would be talking, just side conversations until the meeting has started, but it was dead silent like everyone is silently rushing the meeting. While observing I know there's going to be questions because half of the alphas here are holding their packets with a firm irked grip. I should've smelled the anger from a mile away, I can feel how heavy the tension is, and how eager everyone is for this thing to start. But now there's less than a minute to spare.

Chase appeared first, silent but with a strong presence. He only stares before he takes a seat next to the podium and a blink later Levi stood at the podium like he was a president about to deliver an inauguration. 

"We've come to a decision." He starts. "We know no Alpha wants to harm the people of their pack. So last night shortly after the Ball, Chase and I went to the the temple to revaluate the terms of this condition. And as there isn't much we could do, we did exactly what we could. Yes members of each of your packs will still have to pass-" everyone erupts with disapproval. "But!" He growled. "Less will die, we've managed to cut the list in half. And we have your given targets on new sheets but the Committee has made it clear if you can't do this then the goddess will seek to destroy what has taken the dynasties of generations to build."

He takes a seat as Chase stands. "Initially we had you investigate your pack and you were blind to it. But now we hope you have more knowledge on what needs to be done. Rogues are starting to come together to take us down and because of it we can no longer turn a blind eye to them. They've found a purpose that has made it easy to kill and take their own lives and because of that we're initiating a new law that prevents us from allowing rogues back into the packs." The crowd erupts with rebuttal, only because their are innocent rogues out there that will need a home because they won't survive, and now they'll have a chance to be apart of something. "It was the only way we can cut the lists." Levi hands Chase a roll of papers, which I presume to be the lists. "Now you can ignore these and go on your flight back home, but the goddess has made it abundantly clear that if these people don't fall then your pack will. I'm sorry this couldn't turn out any other way."

But there's only silence and no one makes a move for the podium to retrieve their packet. Everyone looks around hoping for it to be a hoax, and but from what I witnessed it isn't a trick, and I won't have my entire pack murdered because I let the lives of people with a guilty conscious live. I won't let anything happen to my mate.

As I stand, I see Dimitri stood at the same time across the room. As we were the first ones to drop our packets and leave at the second meeting, we will be the first to retrieve our new mission and go home. I'm sure this will show the importance of it all, and start a wave like last time.

Dimitri and I stand side by side as Levi and Chase sift through the papers to find our packs. But unexpectedly this didn't spark the same initiative as last time, everyone else looked at us in disgust.

"Xavier and I witnessed what you think you could have." Dimitri starts. "I had questions that the Goddess believed had alternated my faith. She left me alive to deliver a message, and just as thankful we are for her, we should also fear her. If a couple guilty people die, over time, and by accident, then so be it." He flips through the two pages. "What's four lives, to an entire pack. Four lives of pack members that would put our families in danger because someone they loved fucked up bad enough to get kicked out. I for one, am not going to watch my pack burn because a I let a couple people live when they shouldn't have." He says before walking out.

"For the ones of us that have our mates, don't let what you don't know be the reason she winds up dead in your arms." Was all I have to say before leaving to see my mate again.

As I started walking away, leaving to be with my mate once again, I heard sluggish steps. Reluctant and defeated Alphas going to retrieve their packets. We did good here, now it's time to finally get the fuck out of here and take my mate home.