Chapter 60 Fret Not, Feast Now

A shattering boom shook the ground, lighting up the night skies, setting the training dummy ablaze. Then a whipping lash of water slashed through the blazing inferno.

Reedley's brown eyes lit up as Bix repeated his actions, furiously throwing his magic at the target without considering the fact that he was keeping dinner from starting. He sighed. "Do you have to be so reckless all the time?" He asked.

Bix didn't falter with his attacking blows to the dummy. He only gritted his teeth and released another fire attack.

Reedley scoffed. "Aren't you coming to dinner? Madame and Asha sent me to collect you... so, please don't make this difficult." The young man scoffed, another explosion following his response.

"Difficult, pff." He muttered, slashing through his flames with water.

Reedley watched him as he endlessly threw out his power without taking a break in-between. He hummed to himself. Bix was always such a troublesome young man, even after receiving a scolding from the Madame. However, even though his downfall was his behavioral issues, Bix still managed to baffle him with his stupidly powerful magic. "Bix! I'm sorry!"

The blasting ceased, the silence almost echoed in the night atmosphere. Bix stood straighter. "For? You can't just apologize without reason for it, so why? What are you sorry for?" He asked, refusing to accept such a half-assed apology.

Reedley huffed out. Bix was not going to allow him to take the easy way out, was he?" He exhaled heavily, loosening the first button on his black blouse. "Okay. I'm sorry for snapping at you, okay!" The distance between them still far. He groaned, pinching the bridge of his nose, remembering how he had yelled at him earlier when he found out that Bix had frightened Asha.

"Yeah, how about me, huh? You swore always to protect me too." His voice wavered as he turned to face Reedley, his brown eyes glassy, brows frowned.

Reedley gulped, guilt washing over him. The pact they had made each other came back to his mind.

*The older man's mind went back to a time that he'd instead not remember, the memory too painful to replay, his heart clenched, remembering how scared Bix was; he was trembling that night. It was cold from the coming winter. Reedley had thrown his father's jacket over his shoulder-something he had managed to grab on their rushed exit after escaping the only home that they had known. He swore to himself when the words he had told a small shivering Bix. A promise that he swore he wouldn't break. "Brother, I swear to you that I'll always take care of you and protect you no matter what. It's only us now, so we need to look out for each other. Okay?" Reedley declared, shielding the scene from Bixley's bright eyes. He picked him up, keeping his head down as he turned and looked down at their family home crumbling down in the violent inferno. The cheering from the villagers turned Witch Hunters becoming white noise to his ears. His eyes were glassy, but he had to choke down his sorrow over their parents' death. He hugged his little brother closer to him, turning away as he said goodbye to what he knew as a normal life.*

"Brother, you know that I love you. I just-it hurts me to know that the two people I love most in the world can't stand each other! It forces me into the middle, and I do not want to choose who I love more! I can't..." he said, sounding defeated as his shoulders slumped. He sighed, "I'm sorry, Bixley. I really am. Please, please, brother, come back inside." He looked up, his eyes glowing a brilliant amber, making Bix sigh.

The younger man nodded. His right eyes flared a sterling azure, and his left one a shocking amber to match those of his brother. "Madame isn't mad at me, is she?"

Reedley shook his head. "No, she isn't."

"Good." His shoulders fell slightly as he finally relaxed.