Chapter 33 Honest Conversation

Kate was not one to make house calls too often, he only really ever made them when his mates needed to be checked up on, and he was not quite fond of visiting Kalson because of his strained relationship with his partner, and the fact that he did not like interrupting Kalson's slumber, since the man worked harder than anyone of them did.

He had always made sure to have good reasons for visiting Kalson because if his means for his showing up at their door was not valid then he would have been given a stern talking to from Vidaldus.

Kate climbed the two stairs and then stood out on the front porch then knocked three times on the front door, no more, no less and then stood back awaiting an answer, if he did not hear a reply soon, then he would just leave and come back the next day, or wait for Kalson to come back to work. He knew how spent Kalson was since he had stayed back long after he himself left, just so he could help out with those who had gotten hurt during the attack. The Vampire's warning was more than noble, but now his fellow hunters knew that a Vampire now lived amongst them. Creaking alerted Kate away from his busy thoughts and he looked up as the door pulled back and the ageless features of the tall figure of Vidaldus standing in the doorway, a long violet cotton robe hanging from his board shoulders, all the way to his knees, the wide expanse of his chest exposed to the cool midday air. He gulped down the lump that had formed in his throat once he looked to his serious and near stoic face. Kate who was always the kind to be courteous managed an uneven smile but kept his eyes unwaveringly serious as he and Vidaldus stood there in their usual bubble of silence.

"Kate."

"Vidaldus."

"Yes?" Vidaldus asked, his deep baritone covering up the sweeter sound of his voice under his stiff reply. Kate and Vidaldus did not have the best of track records at all, but Kate had managed to at least level with the man over the years enough to incite a simple conversation from him, no matter how small.

"Is Kalson available?" Vidaldus' hazel-green eyes scanned the man who stood just three inches shorter than him.

"Do you want me to be honest?" He said, a smirk transforming the hardest of his face into a more devious look.

"Would my answer be yes if I say yes?" The older man grinned now, then folded his arms over his chest, the long sleeves of his robe fluttering in the breeze as he did so.

"Maybe. It all depends on why I should tell you. What do you want?" Their eyes burnt into each other's as they maintained eye contact. Kate sucked his teeth when Vidaldus' resolve didn't crack, not even a inch.

"It's about an important matter."

"Work, I suppose... hasn't he worked enough? Why can't he have one day of rest away from you hunters?" His eyes darkened, something that instilled enough fear in Kate to make him shiver at the memory of when they first became... acquainted.

"Vida... please, this is important," he stressed. "It's concerning the townspeople and the Werewolf attack, and another topic." Vidaldus looked over Kate's shoulder at a passing deer drinking from the creek then back at him.

"The town is quite far from us."

Kate huffed out, he was losing what little patience he had within him. "Quit acting oblivious to this. Is Kalson available or not?" He snapped, blue eyes narrowing as his forehead creased. Vidaldus did not even flinch, instead he reached out, making the skin on Kate's body jump before his long fingers touched his temple, his fingers were soft and careful as they traced over the three lines on his forehead. All the fight in Kate drained from whatever Vidaldus might do, but Vidaldus was just running his hand over his stress lines, and when he spoke again his voice was softer, more sympathic. "You men work so hard and so tirelessly to protect those ungrateful townspeople. Why waste such talent on such people?" He dropped his eyes. "You're wasting your youth away fighting beast that might kill you at any given moment... how long has it been since you found a lover? Woman... man?" Kate's gaze flew up to his, but he was being serious. Kate's mouth opened but nothing came forth, he closed his mouth slowly, thinking of the last time he had actually been with another person... "Exactly, you're wasting your life away." He drew his hand back. "Anyways, Kalson was taking a bath. Thankfully your timing was perfect." He turned on his heels and walked back inside the house, leaving Kate momentarily stunned. He threw a look over his shoulder and waved his hand in the air. "Ignore what I said, come in or I'll revoke my invite." Kate awoke from his thoughts and entered the house.