Chapter 73 Complications

An hour later

The warding shield fell after the hour. Gaxin and Madame Waylynn checked on the Hunter to see the faint red marks on his skin that had repaired itself, which were severely torn and bleeding profusely. "This is a shocking revelation, Madame."

"I know, but for now, let's worry over brunch. Kate will wake once he regains energy, and so will the Wolves once the suppressants pull out the energy from their cycles. We can allow their partners in now. I'll be in my study. Please have Reed call me once the food is ready. The others should have repaired the damages from earlier." Waylynn touched Gaxin's shoulder before turning around.

"You knew what he was when we found him didn't you?" Gaxin asked.

Waylynn waited for a beat, then nodded, "Of course I did. What kind of Head Witch would I be if I didn't? I knew of his roots since he first stumbled upon our land several years ago when Yoli was a mere child. The pungent scent of his magical connections was too strong for me to ignore. He had his mother's eyes and her kind heart, a shame that he's a Hunter."

He chuckled humorlessly, "no wonder you didn't kill him on sight."

Waylynn turned back to her long-time friend, "killing someone without reason is what mortals do. We are not savages. We are healers, teachers, and peaceful souls that live free lives. Killing him simply because he was a Hunter is no better than the humans burning us because we are Witches. To be better, we must do better. Anything more, Gaxin?"

"No, Madame, my apologies. I did not intend to upset you." Gaxin said with monotonous nonchalance.

"Not upset, feathers just ruffled. The dawn of my sister's death is close," she looked at Kate's delicate features, "this Hunter has never harmed us-him lying in that bed is enough proof that he would give his life to protect our kind. I trust that we've acquired good company. Do you?"

Gaxin reflected on those words, a flash of his past making him flinch as he twitched, fist clenching, "I appreciate them. Trust is hard to give. You know of my past well."

Waylynn nodded, "yes, and my hope for your healing is always present, old friend." She cupped his cheek and smiled, "Don't push away, Bixley. He's affections are genuine."

Gaxin's eyes widened, and before he could speak to deny any affection, she vanished from the room. He jumped as the door opened, "fuck..." Gavin stepped aside, and Valo rushed in, allowing them to crowd their lover. Gaxin regarded Valo and Yoli and how they carefully cooed over Kate, sighing in relief as they ran their hands through his golden curls.

"Vida? Vida!" Kalson hurried over to his lover, who was lying in a bed and sat next to him, noticing the dampness on his pillow and then seeing Wicker's smoky figure on his neck and cheeks. He brushed his thumb over her, "aww luv, what happened?" He bent over him, kissing his temple tenderly. Vida groaned softly, rousing. "Hey, beautiful,"

Vidaldus smiled, and his heart fluttered.

The Vampire threw his arms around Kalson's neck, kissing him as they giggled.

Ban groaned, squeezing his eyes and then opening them only to squint at the sudden brightness. He moved but halted at the feel of warmth at his side. To his left, Taka lay asleep. The poor thing must have been so tired after all that work. He kissed his cheek, nuzzling their nose as his hair cascaded over his cheeks to tickle the younger one. Taka grumbled sleepily, and he giggled. "Hello, sleepy head. How are you?"

"Baneel! I'm wonderful, my love." Taka squeezed Ban in a hug and smiled when the older one chuckled and kissed his forehead. "How are you?"

"Missed me? I was only resting, dear." Ban said.