Chapter 14 Tall tales

Adam coughed, and his throat burnt. Kate rushed to retrieve him a glass of water which he helped him to drink. Holding his head up as he poured the cool liquid down his throat. Adam sighed in relief and hummed softly as he was laid back onto his bed.

"How are you feeling?"

He took a deep breath in and exhaled it out through his mouth. "I felt like I was punched with a tree." Kate snickered at his words and pulled up the chair to sit next to him.

"Could you tell me what happened? The boy, Leeland gave me a story and I'd like to make sure he wasn't lying."

Adam's eyes met those of his best mate, and he thought it better to go with the story Lexander had told him to go with earlier than to risk him or the child's well-being. "I saved the boy last night from stray wolves after leaving the hunt, then... the night I swore I heard howling and ran out to check it out and then I was ambushed, I thankfully managed to fire a shot that made them run off, Leeland found me maybe hours after. I was barely lucid, and he carried me home and I woke up here... Where is the boy?"

"He's asleep." Kate leaned back. "Did they scratch you?"

"Yes, not deep enough to scar or kill me, so I am thankful it hadn't been worse."

He nodded. "I am too. I was scared when I saw the boy walking up with your body laid over his back, I almost shot him." he covered his mouth in thought, then let his hand drop. "I wanted to check up on you since you left the hunt so suddenly last night."

Adam nodded; he could understand his worry. "Nothing was happening, so I left. I'm sorry I made you worry."

"Don't fret, there was no activity for the rest of us, clearly all of it was directed towards you." Adam chuckled dryly because of how right he was. His mind went to the Vampire and werewolf he had allowed refuge to and then sighed when he realized the true length of what he had done. He had become sexually involved with a vampire and had taken a young werewolf into his care. He wasn't regretful per say but it was going to be difficult to maintain his normal scheduled lifestyle.

Kate leaned back and crossed his boots at the ankles. "How do you feel?"

"Much better. Thank you."

"The child is who needs your thanks, I just brought you to your chambers and looked over you."

"Thank you, Kate. Thank you for not killing Leeland." the men chuckled.

"I wouldn't have, the child looked so tired and afraid. Even if I had a reason to kill him, I still would have spared him. He did save you after all."

"You're too good to kill an innocent child without reasons." Kate sighed and ran a hand back through his hair. "I didn't know what to think about your state Adam..." he paused for a few seconds before he spoke again, "Marissa came around today, she wanted to see you." Adam groaned and pulled himself up on the bed.

"I told her to stay away from the forest, did she come alone?"

"No, this time her brother accompanied her." he bit his lip, as he stared at the wall.

"Samson?"

"Yes, the eldest is out of town, traveling for work. Samson's the eldest son in the house."

Adam shook his head, Marissa was relentless. She had wanted him since she first met him in the woods late one afternoon when he scared off a stray dog that was approaching her. He hadn't meant to get close to her, but he attracted her and now she didn't want to leave him alone. He would have to deal with her eventually once he can, for now, his problems went much further than a simple girl who had become infatuated with him. "What did she want?"