Chapter 43 The Questioning Moon

With Lexander roaming the upper mountains for the courage to come back home, and Adam working himself into exhaustion, which is what happened nearly every night since his snorting had gotten so loud most nights that Leeland couldn't block him out enough to catch some sleep, so he worked on keeping the house as clean as Vidaldus had left it a few days ago. He handled all of the chores around the house while also staying away from the village after his last run-in with Samson, even though at times he was tempted to check on Marissa or visit Samson... so instead he took a run through the woods to clear his head and returned to that cliff that he and Lexander had been at the week of their accident.

He still could not forget the look in those deep green eyes of Samson, something in him sparked and he was unsure of why he felt his heart rate had risen at that moment of closeness, it nearly gripped it and paralyzed him. He had almost seen it gleam a brighter green as their faces were mere inches apart. The look in Samson's eyes was something primal and confident, Leeland scoffed, it was more like conceited, but it made him nervous. He groaned at himself as he walked down the well-worn path to the village, the waxing Crescent shining down on him, providing him with enough light, but it did not bother him in the least as his topaz eyes allowed him clear vision at this dead hour. He rung the sleeve of his new blouse that Adam had gotten for him from the town and surprisingly from Vidaldus as well who had said that Leeland had lacked some poor clothes. These were well sown and quite charming, so he was pretty impressed at the stitch work and the beautiful art that he made out of fabric.

Normally, he was not the type to sneak out, not even when he was back on the farm with his parents. He only ever did it once with his siblings, the cool night air hitting their naked skin as they ran amongst the trees, jumping up and transforming as the new moon shun down on them. He had always had an inkling that his parents had known but never stopped them or said anything to them at all. Leeland missed those moments, watching his brothers and sisters run and smile and roll around in the night enjoying and basking in the night. Something warm was making its way down his cheek and he touched it, pulling his hand back to see it damp, he was crying. Oh wow, when was the last time he had cried? He felt as though he hadn't cried since... since the day he watched his family die. He stopped in his tracks, his eyes going dark, his ears not as perked as it should have been.

He should have told Adam where he was going, but Adam hadn't known anything about the Duncan's up until now and he did not want to lose the trust of the hunter... Lexander was already contemplating leaving, and he wasn't sure how he should have felt about that. He never wanted Adam to worry over him—nothing more could be added to his plate since he was still struggling to deal with what happened between him and Lexander. It was a difficult emotional mess with Lexander's absence, almost as if their little makeshift family had the carpet pulled from underneath their feet. It hurt to smell Adam's pain and see him become so distant. "So, you came?" He leapt up at the entry of a new voice and managed to distance himself almost eight yards away, crouching forward on all fours as he whipped around baring his canines as a low snarl left his lips that pulled back to welcome his fangs.

A smirk sharp enough to slice limbs shun brilliantly, contrast against the night. "Simmer down puppy," he said gesturing his hands for him to lower his defenses, "I'm not here to bite... not unless you want me to." He and leapt from his perch on the large boulder that he was on while he waited on the boy but Leeland did not let up, instead he kept his eyes focused on Samson's movements. The older wolf only stopped when he noticed that Leeland's eyes were glowing a bright golden hue and then chuckled, knowing that he had probably fucked with him maybe a little too much to make him this dangerously on guard. "Leeland right? Calm down, I'm not here to hurt you, I swear." Leeland did not retract his teeth nor did his eyes stop following Samson as he tried to circle the younger wolf to get somewhat closer to him. "Breathe Leeland, please, I didn't ask you to meet with me here to cause you any trouble, so stop transforming," Samson said when he saw Leeland's skin tearing to reveal hair just around his collar. Leeland tilted his head, eyes dimming as his transformation reversed and he carefully stood up from his crouching position. "Finally." Samson did not intend to fight tonight, so he rather not anger him and start anything wild.