Chapter 52 Appétit

Previously...

"So, is there a name that goes with your person?" Kate asked. "Yes, Rylyn Bex, and I'm guessing you aren't normally called Oro?" he chuckled. "No, Kate Luvin." She smiled and gave her hand out. He took it then paused. "Wait... Bex, is your surname? And you're a Werewolf?" she nodded slowly as they stopped shaking hands and she pulled hers back.

"Why do you ask?"

"Because, I think I know your brother."

Her eyes fell as something crashed against the tile floors in the background.

Now...

A young man had entered the kitchen via the side door that led outside and had walked into a small table that held metal baking sheets, pots and a few pans. The pile was toppled over by his distracted approach and everything crashed to the floor, creating a cacophony of noise that startled the people who hadn't been unaware of his presence.

The young man stood up in a flurry, having grabbed a large pan and a small pot by its handle to show for the loss of the several others. “Sorry, sorry.” He burst out holding up the pans as a shield towards them.

Rylyn looked away from her housemate and grabbed Kate’s collar in a flash then dragging him down to meet her eyes, her shorter figure making it hard for the poor man to meet to her eyes, so she kneed him in the shin and dropped him to his knees with a grunt, eyes watering. There, now she could finally meet him eye to eye perfectly.

Her eyes shocking gold, glowed, a warning to Kate to proceed with caution. He gulped as a growl rose from the back of her throat. “My entire family perished in a fire nearly four years ago! All my siblings burnt along with my mother and father!”

Kate shook his head slowly, knowing that this was breaking her.

Tears welled in her eyes and she shook him. "Don’t fucking lie to me!" Her screams strained.

"Leeland... is that your brother's name?" Her pupils shrank and her grip on his blouse loosened, her eyes flickered back to normal and her equilibrium faltered. Her sight blurred. The room unsteady the sounds of worry all mute to her ears as she stepped away from Kate.

The Kate stood up from the floor just as Ban and Louie entered the kitchen in a rush, Ezor and Taka both taking notice of Rylyn, her lips trembling as she tried to sound out her words. Tears running down her hot cheeks. "Rylyn?" Ezor called, she turned around and her knees failed her. The men rushed towards her, Kate being closest, caught her first as he fell to the floor with her going limp. Her body cradled in his arms.

"Rylyn? Ry, wake up!" Louie called, tears filling his eyes.

Taka whipped about and grabbed baker’s ammonia from one of the shelves which in layman terms meant smelling salts. "Here, here!" He fell to his knees in a hurry before Kate. The older man held her up as Taka pushed the small off-white pouch underneath her nose. Rylyn inhaled softly in her unconscious state and jolted awake, her eyes wide and searching in a frantic manner, flashes of the past assaulting her all at once and her body not knowing what to do with itself. Kate and Taka both tried to calm her. Their words were white noise to her.

She sobbed once her mind began to settle, reminding her that she was in the present and not the horrible past. She grabbed onto Kate's shoulders, her tears seeping into his clothes. "What's going on?" Louie asked, his voice an octave too high.

Ban crouched down near the others. "May I?" He asked with a hand up indicating that he wanted permission to touch them. Kate nodded and Ban reached over to touch both his and Rylyn's temple, their eyes went stark changing to a cloudy white as Ban searched for the reason for this uproar.