Chapter 12 Haze

The warmth spread throughout the cabin as the sun awoke from the night. A lazy yawn was the first sound that distorted the homes quiet. Leeland stretched and his back curved, and his jaw opened to yawn again. He licked his dry lips and froze. His brown eyes widened as he sat up in bed. He took a deep gulp of air in through his sharp nostrils and the stale and metallic stench of the air alerted him to his feet. The sheets fluttered gracefully to the floor behind him as he stormed out of the room, skidding on the wooden floor, his claws at the floor to keep him from falling back. He sped over to the hunters' room. He slammed his shoulder to the open door frame and paused. His voice couldn't get out and his eyes were questioning the scene.

The hunters' bedroom was empty, save for the torn white linens that were dragged to the floor, half on the bed and half on the floor... stained in red. The brown droplets of blood weren't fresh. His eyes caught a handprint and spots of blood leading out of the room. He stepped aside as they led out into the living space and under the front door. He flung the door open, then marched along the trail, then bent and took in the scent of the hunters' blood. He growled, falling forward onto his hands as he took a deeper whiff of the dried blood. "Vampire," he concluded.

He yanked the door open, nearly taking it with him before taking off in a barefooted run down into the damp forest where the blood scent was getting stronger. His eyes were golden orbs of an omega. Sharp and ready, his body crouched down and lunged forward as he began running on his hands and feet.

With a grunt and snarl, he picked up the pace as he got to a darkened area of the woods. He slid to a stop and then stood up, the trail faint, but it didn't go any further. He straightened and then his eyes darted around. "Hunter!" he was panicked, "come out! Lexander if you dared."

He inhaled a new scent then his pupils turned to the corner of his eyes and he slowly turned around. "Dared what?" a distant voice drifted to his ears.

"Where's the hunter?"

The tree branch creaked, and the werewolf growled, he wasn't in the mood for games when the situation was so dire. "Here."

"Here where? Did you kill him because you were no longer indebted to him?"

"No... Why ever would I do such a thing, mutt?" Lexander appeared from high up in the treetop, from behind the branches where he had hidden himself, his tall slender figure shirtless and stained in blood. His long black hair blowing with the morning wind. Their eyes met when he turned to face the Vampire.

"What have you done beast?"

He looked down, his silver eyes distant. "He's still alive... but I made a mistake and he did too." he moved fast through the trees that hid most of the sun away. He then jumped down before Leeland.

"He's, over here..."

"Why did you come back to the cabin?" he didn't turn back to watch the wolf. "I needed something from his room."

"Did you hurt him?" he snarled and yanked the predator back to face him. "Did you hurt him!" his eyes burned topaz gold and his fangs dropped. Lexander grabbed Leeland's hand and threw it off of his shoulder.

"I said no. Follow wolf, or I'll do to you what I didn't do to him."

"Is that a threat beast, a single bite from me and you'll be dead within the next morning!"

"Shut up pup." he pushed aside a handful of low hanging branches that revealed a sleeping Adam that was also stained in blood. The wolf nodded. He smelt the hunters own mixed with... He twisted and tackled Lexander, slamming his body into a tree nearby as he barked quite literally in his face. "You didn't!"