Chapter 27 On Edge

While Lexander and Kate were getting acquainted Adam had taken to sitting on the couch where he began pondering on this exchange with Kate and if he was truly okay with knowing that a Vampire and Werewolf lived so close to the village that they swore to protect.

Kate had seemed to warm up to the idea more than Adam would have guessed, but his suspension was still very evident especially with Leeland regarding him with a short glance every second as he sat not saying anything. This was a perplexing revelation and Adam was very uncertain of this. He was not sure how much he trusted Kate's character in this situation... especially with his knowledge of Adam having not one, but two powerful and threatening supernatural creatures living in his home so near to their people. He groaned, squeezing his eyes tightly, his face in his hand. Lexander heard his hunters' chagrin but ignored him as he continued conversing with Kate and asking him about the injured and Kate about his reasons for helping them.

Adam had known Kate for nearly all his life, so his trust with him was strong, but right now, at this moment it wavered for the first time in years, it jarred him how he was now questioning that trust. His back was straight, green eyes focused, and arms folded over his chest now. He was fully clothed since he had gotten company. Lexander was still busy gushing over a conversation with Kate, his smile wide, but his eyes calculative, taking the man in, this having been the second time he actually spoke with and met him face to face.

Adam observed his movement. He saw Lexander stalking his company like Vampires normally do. Kate was still new to him no matter the fact that they spoke just last night.

Leeland, was more fidgety than before because he had seen the threatening gaze of Kate once before and he did not want to test those still yet dark waters that wouldn't have hesitated to put a bullet in his skull right between his eyes because he knew and he could feel that Kate's heartbeat was steady and calm the day he pointed a gun to his face. Leeland smelt no fear from him then and he didn't smell it now. His eyes kept on going from hunter to hunter, uncertain of his place between two very powerful humans whose life trade was hunting. Over the time that he lived the life of a nomad, Leeland had come to realize that he was not a violent person, nor was he a violent werewolf, one of the reasons he had left the rogue werewolves alone once he realized that they did not want to live a peaceful life amongst the humans.

The young wolf saw through Lexander's charade. The Vampire was much older than all three men combined so he had an upper hand from them all. He was marking Kate, sniffing him out to ensure that if he was lying that he'd be the first one to pounce and do whatever needed to be done to keep Leeland and Adam safe.

Lexander had more life experience with deadly threats and false pretenses, so him taking to Kate was to make sure that he was not a threat in any way. Adam himself seemed like he was nervous amongst Kate, Leeland could smell his worry and anxiousness.

"Adam, why are you so silent?" The three men found Kate's person and waited. Nothing could quite escape Kate's sharp wits nor could Adam expect any less from him. Adam bit the inside of his bottom lip and sighed then looked at his friend, the man he trusted with his life too many times in their profession.

Lexander's cheery mood had cracked for the quickest second, the vampire, the man who he could probably call his lover... since he had asked him to stay not too long ago was worried. "I'm not interjecting, I'm allowing you two to become acquainted. Did you find out something otherworldly?"

Kate's lip curled softly, and his eyes narrowed as they glinted in the soft glow of the fire crackling in its bed of logs. The early morning had brought a chill along with it and Adam had begun a fire while Leeland had taken Marissa home. "So, a vampire... how's the sex?" Lexander nearly cracked the plate in his hand, but set it down gently, the fork, however, was not so fortunate as it formed around his fingers in a bent fashion. Adam choked back his gasp of surprise and rose from where he sat. Leeland stayed sitting, hands on his knees, back stiff and eyes looking at nothing in particular. His face was a tangle of questionable assumptions that would have triggered Kate to ask that question, but also a deep need to escape the cabin if that question felt like it was going to lead into something that he would very much like to not know. He could live a long happy life without knowing the sexual activity going on between the Vampire and the hunter.