Chapter 42 Ms. Anonymous

Bisca, Ezor, Valo and Gaxin stood by the door of the bedroom, watching the man that they had housed for four days finally awake. The room itself was not how it was left, Reedley was on the floor cradling a bloody and unconscious Asha, Madame Waylynn who was collapsed was on the floor perplexed at what she had seen, and Yoli was on the floor staring up at the stranger, whose forehead had eight circular burn marks.

“What the hell happened here?” Valo growled, their dark eye glaring at the people in the room. Madame Waylynn stood up with the help of Gaxin and Ezor and dusted herself off, her face unreadable. “Yoli, pull yourself together.” She said waving her hand to repair the broken lamp, as she approached the young woman. She gave her a hand and she took it and allowed her Master to help her up. Bisca went over to Reedley who was trying to heal Asha but was failing to do so.

The man looked towards everyone who had rushed into the room that he laid within and looked up as the woman who was addressed as Madame Waylynn came to the side of his bed. “Madame Waylynn,” she said extending a hand to him. He took it, albeit being hesitant and they shook hands.

“You had an unfortunate accident in our forest, a bad contact with Nerium oleander honey, also known as the sweetly scented killer. It is the deadliest plant in the world. We found some traces on your clothes when we got to you. It seems that you had a near deadly run in with the natives of the land.” She smirked. “They are quite territorial and use the honey made from the Nerium plant as poison for their weapons, and we are afraid that you might have come in contact with said poison.”

He moved the sheets away and lifted his blouse to check his body and sure enough he had what seemed like a burn mark on the right side of his chest. “How did I survive?”

“Bisca removed the poison and Reedley healed you as best he could.” She said motioning to them where they were with Asha.

“What—.”

“Before anything else, what is your name sir? We’ve taken to calling you Oro, the Italian word for gold, for you hair.”

“Oro… nice. Umm,” he rubbed at his eyes. “My name is Kate… Kate Luvin. Thank you for saving me.”

“Don’t thank us so fast. You’re a hunter. Your weapons made it clear what you are!” Ezor began from behind Madame Waylynn. The Madame rolled her eyes and lifted a hand up. “Boys, remove him please.” Valo and their brother Ban each grabbed Ezor by his arm and lifted the short man out of the room as he kicked and fussed. “Good, now that he is gone. I want to know what your reasons were for being in our forest.”

Kate adjusted his place on the bed and nodded carefully. “Why am I alive? You’re a Witch, and if I may say, you are all Witches, and the last time I checked you did not have a good standing with anyone, especially people in my profession or the villagers.”

Madame Waylynn smirked. “The only reason that you’re alive is because of that bracelet on your wrist… I recognize that craftsmanship anywhere, you also had magic in your system, and I recognized it. Vidaldus Galgo sent you.” The remaining Witches in the room gasped. “He is a clever Witch, that bracelet is meant to only alert me of who’s magic it is, and he knew that I would willingly let you in after I sensed his magic lingering on you.” She chuckled.

“Waylynn… he told me to ask for you. You know why I’m here don’t you?” he asked with a humorless smile on. She nodded.

“Yes, do you know how long you’ve been here?” he shook his head. “I found a map on your person as well as your weapons, which I placed downstairs in my office, you may have them when you’re leaving. Also, you’ve been here for four, nearly five days.” Kate’s blue eyes widened, and he looked up at the woman her eyes saddened at his expression. “I’m sorry darling, but the poison did a number on your mind before we could get to you. The Natives were worried and summons us over at once.” She sighed and looked over her shoulder at Yoli. “Yoli here,” she said motioning to the voluptuous ebony woman who took to taking care of Kate and his eyes fixated on the woman, she was radiant, her clear brown eyes, full pink lips, flawless ebony skin and thick kinky black hair. He smiled and she blushed, her cheeks rosier. He gulped. Madame Waylynn stepped before him—shielding the girl away to his distaste. “Yes, you’ll have time to speak with her soon.” Kate nodded.

“The answer is no. You may stay here until you are fit enough to leave, but you will need to abide by the house rules and since you’re not a Witch, I wouldn’t advise you venturing into the forest at any time during the day, you’re still weak from being in a temporary stasis, but you will regain your strength now that you’re awake.” He looked towards the young woman being carried away by the large man. “Reedley.” Madame said, stopping him. He paused before leaving the room, she gave Kate a nod.

“Is she… will she be okay?” he asked.

“Yes, once we calm her aura down then we’ll be able to heal her properly. She’ll be fine.” Madame Waylynn lifted her hand and Reedley, Gaxin and Bisca left to tend to Asha. “Well, I’ll leave you to get some rest, I will be on hand to answer any more questions.”

“Why won’t you help me?”

“Those villagers murdered my sister.” She spun on her heels and marched out of the room, shutting the door behind her, leaving Yoli alone with the hunter.

Sweat beaded on her forehead, but her eyes were examining him just as his were of her. “Yoli… is that your name?”

She nodded. “Yes, Kate Luvin.” Her voice, those words, it was like the woman who would hum to him, his eyes fluttered for a moment.

“Oro was catching on.” She giggled and Kate’s cheeks pinked. “You’re her, aren’t you?” her eyes met his again and he shook his head. “Umm, apologies, my dreams… there was a dancer who sung to me every day and every night… it was you, wasn’t it?” her eyes answered him before she let her words answer.

“Yes.”

He swallowed the lump in his throat. “I… I wouldn’t say this if it weren’t what I felt for such a long time while I was trapped in my head, but I fell in love with that voice, and I feel so silly for saying it out loud—.” He ran a hand back through his hair and shook his head, unbelievable that he would be in love with her from just hearing her voice. “Sorry, it’s absurd, that was only a dream.”

“No… I felt it too.” She finally moved forward, her hand extending to touch his temples, the very remains of the ashes of his mind that Asha had managed to pull him away from. “Please, don’t dismiss it.” Kate’s eyes fluttered as her hands caressed his face, she had trimmed his growing beard but stubble had grown back and she hummed the same song that Kate had memorized from his dreams. Kate’s heart skipped and tears filled his eyes. “It is you.” He whispered.

“Don’t leave me.” She said, as he met her brown eyes and smiled.

“I don’t want to.”

She bit her lip. “But you must… stay a few days, you are still weak. Asha pulled you out of your mind, saved you from death, please.”

He pressed his lips together his heart racing along with hers as he touched the back of her hand that rest on his cheek. “You’re filthy, let me clean you off.” She pulled her hands away from his and waved it in the air, a damp wash cloth meeting her hands. She brough it up to his temple and began cleaning him off. “Asha’s powers really showed out today.”

“Is she normally this powerful?” Yoli shook her head. “No, she is a timid soul, but she holds such immense power and fears using it.”

“Because of what happened today?”

“Yes, but today, she overexerted herself and got too swept up within her mind trying to save you. Honestly, your life was on the line and Vidaldus would have had our necks if we had hurt you or left you for dead. She was meant to help save you since she could go into peoples minds. She did that today, but at a cost.”

“Will she be alright?”

Yoli nodded, “She’ll recover, and when she does, she’ll want to speak with you.” Yoli set the cloth down, smiling and Kate was happy that he could finally put a face to the beautiful woman who he had thoughts of for four long days. “You’re very beautiful.” Her eyebrows shot up and she parted her lips, but nothing came forth. Her heart was beating so loud in her ears that she could hardly hear anything else. “I should go. Come down the two flights of stairs and to your left once you hear the bell ring two times.” She got up in a hurry and made her way to the door where his voice stopped her. “Thank you.” She gripped her blouse over where her heart was and smiled before leaving him alone once more.