Chapter 2: Dead Trees

--=Male Reader's POV=--

Where am I?
You find yourself in a forest. It feels like the middle of summer, judging by the hot breeze of air, passing through your left arm's fur.
Your fur...
Your... body...
You remember who you are now . But you still don't know what you were.
Suddently... it's cold.
So cold...
The leaves fall off the trees around you, like clothes being torn off someone's body. The trees collapse, the sun's light is gone, and the floor shakes violently, splitting in two.
Panicking, you fall... but fall into what? ... an endless void, perhaps...

Feeling nothing but... despair...

You open your eyes.
It's dark. The room's light turned itself off... At least you wouldn't be reprehended by K for wasting power.
Doctor K...
The button. Should I call him?
If you had a watch, or a phone, you'd check the time... but looking at the dim, dim light peeking out of a nearby window outside his room, you realize it's probably 4 or 5 in the morning.
He did say to press the button if you couldn't sleep... You weren't going to sleep after that, anyways.

You look at the red button behind your bed. Pressing it, you feel a very tactile feedback... and a not-so-distant noise that you could only assume to be coming from Doctor K's room, in the same corridor as yours. Quick steps can be heard as he rushes into your room. He turns on the light.

Dr. K - (Worried) What happened? Are you OK, Pur- eh... What was your name agai-? shuffles through random paperwork on his table
You (Tired) - Calm down, Doctor. I'm fine... just couldn't really sleep.
Dr. K (still worried) - sighs, and keeps looking for something You scared me. Finally, after leaving his table a complete mess, he reads an A5 sheet of paper he holds in his hand.
Alright... AA0107, I'd administrate you a dose of melatonin, but it's currently... checks the time 5:12 AM, and you're supposed to wake up at 8. If I gave you said melatonin, you'd sleep until 11 AM. smiles warmly I can offer you my company, if that pleases you. I usually wake up at 6, so don't worry about me, I'm fine.
You - Thanks, K. I'd... appreciate your company, yes.

K drags a chair from the back of the lab you never really checked. With a quick glance, you see it's quite big for its purpose - it would easily host 3 more rooms like his and still have enough space for the white wolf's computers and physical folders (Who still uses those?) to lie comfortably on his table. Why so much empty space?, you think, not realizing the face behind the mask already sat down, yawning, with a tired look on his face, despite what he claimed earlier.

K - So... what bothers you?
You - Well... I had a bad dream... You cringe at your own voice, sounding like a 4-year-old telling his parents he had a nightmare.
K (with a worried expression) - Do you remember it? Perhaps telling it to me would easen your mind.
You (making an effort) - Not a lot... thinks I remember something about... being in a forest... and then I was falling into nothing... thinks harder, but sighs in frustration I don't know, I can't remember very well.
K (writes down) - Well, that's enough, I guess... scribbles down on his notepad Some people say that dreaming of nature means that you want freedom. looks up Falling into a void is common between teens or children's bad dreams, actually - usually interpreted as feeling like you have no control over your life.

An uncomfortable silence falls between both of you, as you think about what he said, as Lin understands your need to be free. His warm smile disappears, leaving behind a sad face.

Dr. K - I... I can't let you leave. Not yet.

None of you say a word after. You weren't exactly happy with your imprisonment, but if they found a way to fix you back, he wouldn't mind staying some more time.