Chapter 3: x^2-7=0 (Part 2)

--=Male Reader's POV=--

Dr. K (nervous) - How are you?
You (sad) - I'm feeling like shit... groan What happened, Doctor?
Dr. K - I... W- well...

A worrying silence fills the room you were in. Dr. K finds what he was looking for and closes the cabinet quietly, and enters your room with something in his hand. You reach for his arm, but you're handcuffed in bed.
It triggers your brain, and last week's events come back to your mind, flooding it like when you leave the bathtub's tap on for too long; your feelings emerge again, too. In the end, it's better for yourself if you're cuffed.

Dr. K - You d-... don't remember?
You - I do now...

Another equally disturbing silence fills the room.
Dr. K promptly replaces the empty saline bag with a full one. It was weird how the room was... multipurposes. I mean, you only witnessed the "hotel room" mode and "hospital" mode. But still, either that room was multifunctional as hell or... Dr. K was very good at his job. Seeing as he handled all situations as best as he could, you bet the latter would be the most likely answer.
Still... your questions had been left unanswered until now... and right now, with your state, that wasn't a priority,

Dr. K - For your own safety... I'm not leaving you alone on your room.

You said nothing. Perhaps it was for the greater good - right now, you weren't feeling well, and you didn't trust yourself that much to be left alone. Still quiet, you let K talk.

Dr. K - I'm pairing you with Puro.

Was it the right move? After all, it was the one who transformed you into... Whatever you were.
But you felt no rage towards him, unaware of his condition, and backstory.
You only felt... sadness. No anger, no destructive feelings, except to yourself...
Trying wouldn't hurt.

You (coughing) - Thanks, Doctor.

The face behind the gas mask lost its sad expression, and replaced it with a vulnerable hint of a faint smile.

Dr. K - You're welcome...

...I'm sorry for what happened.

Your face exhibits a faint smile.

You (with a faint laugh) - There's no turning back now... is there, Doctor?

I must accept my fate...

...but for now...

...For now, I should focus on getting some rest. But first...

You - Hey, Doc.

Dr. K - Hm?

You - You still have that candy bar you promised me?

Dr. K (warmly smiling, he draws a KitKat from his pocket) - How about a bet?

You (retributibg the smile) I'm listening.

Dr. K - If you solve an equation for me, I'll give you two candy bars. If you fail, you get half a candy bar.

You (curious) - Deal.

Dr. K - Alright then. Find me the zeros of the equation x^2=9.

Oh fuck.
I remember this... or at least, I think I can solve it.
What did you do to turn x^2 into x?
Was it dividing?
No, that would be 2x.
Wait, I got it!

You - Easy peasy. Since x square is 9, x would be the root of 9!

Dr. K - And what would be the root of 9?

Oh.
Oh fuck.

Dr. K - What number do you multiply twice to obtain 9?

You - Three!

Dr. K laughs with you, enjoying all your effort for a simple chocolate.

Dr. K - I helped you, but you still got it right. As promised, here you go! Dr. Lin hands over a pair of chocolate bars
Now I'm the snackless boyo. I'll get myself one, hang in the-

You - Hey! We can always share!

Dr. K appreciates your generosity, and you hand him over one of the candy bars. At the same time, you unwrap your snacks and devour them as quick as lightning.

You want to thank Dr. K, but you feel sleepy all of a sudden. He notices this, and relaxes you, assuring you that it's just the morphine kicking in - some more rest would be superb for you. And you don't disagree either.

You fall asleep, feeling protected by the company of your only friend, with the taste of chocolate on your mouth.

Tomorrow is another day.